Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Bill Whillers <mo...@whohasit.com> on 2007/01/29 01:24:09 UTC

bouncing emails

Hello,

Although not exclusively a MP dependant issue, maybe this is the best list to
ask since I'm concerned about performance, using perl and clean code.

A couple years ago, I built (and now maintain) Yet Another custom job that
processes bounced email messages set by our web servers. It parses each one
to get a list of the attempted addresses and the reason (exact or guessed)
for each bounce.

Can somebody recommend a standardized, up-to-date and similar module or
package that does basically the same thing, giving good results and following
recent RFC/IETF standards?

Thanks
-B

Re: bouncing emails

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@2xlp.com>.
On Jan 28, 2007, at 7:24 PM, Bill Whillers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Although not exclusively a MP dependant issue, maybe this is the
> best list to
> ask since I'm concerned about performance, using perl and clean code.

this has nothing to do with mp , because a bounced message is one
thats accepted by the server , then rejected for delivery.

your webserver should only have to deal with message delivery
failures and refused acceptance.

if you want to keep it in perl, I'd search the CPAN archives looking
for current mail message parsers.  asking on perlmonks.org or one of
the perl listserves could help.

but...

a lot of SMTP servers will have logging functions , an API, or some
sort of hook for you to accomplish this with.  example: if you're
using exim you could toss in a perl scan function or write a
transport/delivery option to handle the  analysis and logging right
there.

// Jonathan Vanasco

Re: bouncing emails

Posted by "í Pavlovský <jira@getnet.cz>" <Jir>.
Bill Whillers wrote:
> Can somebody recommend a standardized, up-to-date and similar module or
> package that does basically the same thing, giving good results and following
> recent RFC/IETF standards?

Mail::DeliveryStatus::BounceParser maybe?