Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by ASHWIN Suresh <a....@sigmatel.net.ma> on 2003/12/08 23:09:23 UTC

[lang] String Utils replacement for StringUtils -- was ([lang] St ringUtils.split() functionality wrt separator repeats)

Incidentally (or perhaps it was to come), I was about to send out another
email
proposing a StringUtils-like class that handles StringBuffer instead.
I would be interested in writing it, but I need to evaluate how much time I
can afford
to it (will let u know).

In the meanwhile, assuming I can go ahead, you can list out right away what
differences
you see between StringUtils and the StringBuffer counterpart. I can, for
now, perhaps cover the
simpler methods which are similar to the StringUtils ones.

Regarding tightening admissibility of new methods to a class because it is
large, I
am of the opinion that for a class of only static methods such as this one,
why should there be any hesitation. StringUtils is but a repository of all
such
features, so as long as we have clear documentation, I see no reason why
largeness
should lead to limits to having more methods.
Let me know.

Ash

Re: [lang] String Utils replacement for StringUtils -- was ([lang] StringUtils.split() functionality wrt separator repeats)

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
The string buffer class needs to begin by having all the same methods as
StringBuffer, and they should do exactly the same. Then, methods to handle
null would be added:
 appendSilentNull()

At that point, we could evaluate it and see what else should be added.

Stephen