Posted to mailet-api@james.apache.org by Patrick Ruhkopf <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/30 05:40:56 UTC

Access ImapSession from Mailet

Hi,

I would like to develop a Mailet that depends on the ImapState of the
current ImapSession. How do I access the ImapSession object from
within a mailet?

Thanks
Patrick

Re: Access ImapSession from Mailet

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Patrick Ruhkopf
<pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Robert,
>
> Thanks for the prompt response.
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> it would be useful to understand more about your use case
>> in particular which mail process would the mailet execute?
>
> Sure, here's basically what I would like to achieve: Mailet that
> intercepts all reads and writes of a message's body. The catch: Mailet
> needs to access the user name of the current imap session. Does this
> qualify for a mailet use case or am I better off with customizing the
> imap project?

ok - i think i understand a little better now

the easiest way to do this would be by creating a proxy Mailbox to
intercept calls to the data store (rather than using a mailet). some
development would be needed (bringing forward some planned work) but
that shouldn't be a major issue. if you could subscribe to the
server-dev list (don't worry - the traffic isn't high) and restart
this thread over there, then we can discuss the details.

cheers

- robert

Re: Access ImapSession from Mailet

Posted by Patrick Ruhkopf <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hey Robert,

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Patrick Ruhkopf
<pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

hi patrick

(this is a general list for mailets. i think this question raises
broader API questions so it's fine on here but just FYI - in general -
the server-dev is the best list to post questions the specifics of the
James IMAP implementation.)

> I would like to develop a Mailet that depends on the ImapState of the
> current ImapSession.

(for those who don't know, IMAPSession is used to store information
about the logical client connection)

> How do I access the ImapSession object from
> within a mailet?

a good question

it would be useful to understand more about your use case

in particular which mail process would the mailet execute?

(for example, the spooled processing queue in James server)

- robert