Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by suresh babu yella <su...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/08 18:11:45 UTC

Fix CVE tomcat 6.0.18 with out upgrade

We are using tomcat 6.0.18  and we found below number of Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE).

High Vulns: 98

Medium Vulns: 50

Low Vulns: 6
We cannot upgrade/patch any of those components due to supportability
concerns from Autonomy.

How can I apply a fix for all the CVE, I see the build instructions in
below link but I was looking for applying the fixes without upgrade.

Security -
http://tomcat.apache.org/security-6.html#Apache_Tomcat_6.x_vulnerabilities
Build Instructions - http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/building.html

Thanks

Re: Fix CVE tomcat 6.0.18 with out upgrade

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Suresh,

On 5/8/13 12:11 PM, suresh babu yella wrote:
> We are using tomcat 6.0.18  and we found below number of Common
> Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE).
>
> High Vulns: 98
>
> Medium Vulns: 50
>
> Low Vulns: 6 We cannot upgrade/patch any of those components due to
> supportability concerns from Autonomy.
>
> How can I apply a fix for all the CVE

Easy:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0.18> bin\shutdown.sh

Fixed.

> I see the build instructions in below link but I was looking for
> applying the fixes without upgrade.

You would have to read the entire Subversion repository history
involving Tomcat, evaluate each commit to determine its applicability
to each CVE, apply them in order, fix any conflicts, then build the
resulting source tree.

Oh, and you'd then once again have an unsupported version of Tomcat
(unsupported by both the ASF and Autonomy).

Tomcat does not provide patches for CVEs: instead, the Tomcat team
provides whole new versions that include (alleged) fixes for those
CVEs. It's time to upgrade: you are hideously out of date.

If Autonomy won't support running on a properly-patched version of
Tomcat, then you shouldn't be running their software.

- -chris

Re: Fix CVE tomcat 6.0.18 with out upgrade

Posted by David Smith <da...@cornell.edu>.
On 5/8/13 1:17 PM, suresh babu yella wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> We might consider for upgrading the tomcat later, due to to supportability
> concerns from Autonomy we cannot upgrade it to any of the higher version.
>
> but right now we are looking to apply the fix for all CVE's we identified,
> it will be great if you can let me know the procedure.

Then upgrade, but keep it within the Tomcat 6.0.x versions.  Going up to
6.0.37 should be perfectly safe.   Put up a test env and try it.

--David

Re: Fix CVE tomcat 6.0.18 with out upgrade

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.
On May 8, 2013, at 1:17 PM, suresh babu yella wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> We might consider for upgrading the tomcat later, due to to supportability
> concerns from Autonomy we cannot upgrade it to any of the higher version.

I don't know that vendor, but it sounds like you might need to have a conversation with them and see what is taking them so incredibly long (6.0.18 was released in Jul 2008) to upgrade.

> but right now we are looking to apply the fix for all CVE's we identified,
> it will be great if you can let me know the procedure.

Each of the security issues that have been fixed are documented at the link you included.

 http://tomcat.apache.org/security-6.html#Apache_Tomcat_6.x_vulnerabilities

You might be able to go through and apply mitigations for each of them, but that's going to be a long and tedious process.

This is why you should really consider upgrading.  That will bring everything up-to-date in one step.

Dan

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
suresh babu yella <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Dan,
>
>We might consider for upgrading the tomcat later, due to to
>supportability
>concerns from Autonomy we cannot upgrade it to any of the higher
>version.
>
>but right now we are looking to apply the fix for all CVE's we
>identified,
>it will be great if you can let me know the procedure.

The only available procedure is to upgrade. We do not provide patches for old releases.

Mark

Posted by suresh babu yella <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.