Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/10 04:48:45 UTC

Helping PyLucene and RubyLucene incubate

This may be more appropriate for general@, but I don't know who's on
it.

Hello,

I was supposed to help Andi Vajda and a few more guys get going with
PyLucene and RubyLucene incubation.  I'm not finding time for that and
feel pretty bad about it.  There is no reason to hold things up - Andi
and the gang have been ready to incubate for weeks now (probably as
SWIGLucene, unless somebody comes up with a better name).

Could anyone help them out with writing the proposal, Jira requests,
general@incubator.apache.org emails, etc.?

Proposal example: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/NutchProposal

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Helping PyLucene and RubyLucene incubate

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
I'm cross-posting to java-dev just to let folks know we've moved this
conversation over to ruby-dev@lucene.

On May 10, 2005, at 8:14 AM, Brian McCallister wrote:
> The ruby part of it is from scratch, but I am using Andi's work
> extensively, and it relies on that work for all practical purposes.
> I'd be quite comfy going through the incubator, or not -- whichever
> people are comfortable with. Andi's work can be an external
> dependency (the licensing is fine).

My preference is to get the Ruby stuff into Subversion sooner rather
than later and since its from scratch I prefer to put this directly
under /ruby in the main Lucene repository.   Any reason why we should
not kick start it this way?  If not, then we'll have Doug enable
Brian (and Andi if desired, and perhaps others?) to have privileges
to a /ruby tree.

> I still like the idea of a "Native Ports" lucene subproject.

Me too!  But I don't think that should hold up the Ruby efforts from
getting into a repository soon and for the ruby-dev@lucene list to
become more active.

RubyLucene... soon please!  :)

     Erik

Re: Helping PyLucene and RubyLucene incubate

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
The ruby part of it is from scratch, but I am using Andi's work
extensively, and it relies on that work for all practical purposes.
I'd be quite comfy going through the incubator, or not -- whichever
people are comfortable with. Andi's work can be an external
dependency (the licensing is fine).

I still like the idea of a "Native Ports" lucene subproject.

-Brian

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Andi Vajda wrote:
> The Ruby work may be from scratch, I don't know. But the project to
> incubate, the project we've been talking about for a while now,
> SWIGLucene-unless-we-come-up-with-a-better-name, would include PyLucene,
> not from scratch, RubyLucene, and maybe others.

Attached is a message I sent earlier summarizing the incubation process
as I know it from Nutch.

Doug

Re: Helping PyLucene and RubyLucene incubate

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <an...@osafoundation.org>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <an...@osafoundation.org>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

There is a ruby-dev@lucene list :)  (CC'd)

> I was supposed to help Andi Vajda and a few more guys get going with
> PyLucene and RubyLucene incubation.  I'm not finding time for that and
> feel pretty bad about it.  There is no reason to hold things up - Andi
> and the gang have been ready to incubate for weeks now (probably as
> SWIGLucene, unless somebody comes up with a better name).
>
> Could anyone help them out with writing the proposal, Jira requests,
> general@incubator.apache.org emails, etc.?
>
> Proposal example: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/NutchProposal

If the Ruby work is going to be from scratch then no incubation is
necessary.  We can give Andi and Brian M. commit privileges to a /
ruby tree easily already to allow that to start happening.

Brian - what say you and the RubyLucene clan?

I sure would love a Ruby version of Lucene right about now.... I
would very likely shift to Rails and RubyLucene instead of the stack
(Tapestry/Cayenne) I'm using now *nudge nudge*.

     Erik

Re: Helping PyLucene and RubyLucene incubate

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.