Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/26 16:34:10 UTC

Meritocracy, initial contributors and (Incubator) Proposals

Hello everyone,

I should have thought of this before, but I didn't. I also did some
research in the mailing list archives, but the search terms are so common,
I didn't come up with anything.

Meritocracy is valued strongly at the ASF. Usually it is granted post-fact
when someone has proven her- or himself. There are lots of problems with
that too, but this is not about that.

This is related to the Training proposal on this list that I started
yesterday.

Proposals (and this especially) are a way to be granted something that you
usually have to work for (prove merit). I'm wondering what has been done in
the past in these situations? Is everyone just added to the list of
contributors/PMC members? There is no real limit to the number of people
that can be part of the initial team as far as I know.

Now, I know some of the people who have contacted me, and I am honored that
they chose to work with me/us on this project. Most people on here I have
never met though and even though I may have read some names on the mailing
list I have no way of assessing whether they are a good fit for a project.
I would usually just trust implicitly (by being on this list, contributor
to other projects etc.) and would say "the more the merrier". In this case
I happen to be the one who's written the proposal but it could have been
anyone really. Should it really be me judging who's a good fit? When do
we/I say "stop, we have enough"?

On the other hand, it would be a pity to have a PMC/initial contributors
list with inactive people and no way to "prune" it. This can be problematic
depending on bylaws (which I've been bitten by already in another project)
and for other reasons.

I'm looking for any advice and past experiences.

Cheers,
Lars

Re: Meritocracy, initial contributors and (Incubator) Proposals

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@outlook.com>.
Some very general guidance - https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html

________________________________

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Is everyone just added to the list of contributors/PMC members?

In my experience for a project going via the incubator generally anyone who asks is added (I can only recall one case where this was not the case and it had a very large list of initial committers).

For straight to TLPs that’s not been the case but given they are fairly rare and each different it’s going to depend.

> Now, I know some of the people who have contacted me, and I am honored that
> they chose to work with me/us on this project. Most people on here I have
> never met though and even though I may have read some names on the mailing
> list I have no way of assessing whether they are a good fit for a project.

Perhaps list out what you see as a good fit / what you are looking for in an initial committer and let people judge themselves against that?

> On the other hand, it would be a pity to have a PMC/initial contributors
> list with inactive people and no way to "prune" it.

There is no issue with having inactive PMC members, and no project bylaws/guidlines I’m aware are based on total number.

If you go via the incubator you can also prune the PMC on graduation by asking who wants to stay on.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Meritocracy, initial contributors and (Incubator) Proposals

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The general outline makes sense to me and it is reassuring that I didn't
miss anything too obvious.

I'll wait to see if a discussion is going to develop on the exact form this
is going to happen in.

Cheers,
Lars

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 8:37 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> >... For straight-to-TLP projects, like your Training proposal, I think the
> > initial PMC should consist only of Apache Members.
>
> While that seem like a good idea it’s not been the case with all PMC members on previous TLP. ...

Might be - we've only had a few of those so far, I think it's fine to
tweak and improve.

>.. It’s really up to the board to decide if they accept a straight to TLP our not...

Agreed but if the board has to examine individual candidates that's
not practical - a simple rule might be easier, and once again it's
easy for the PMC to change things as soon as it starts.

-Bertrand

Re: Meritocracy, initial contributors and (Incubator) Proposals

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi Lars,