Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by sat <sa...@deron.de> on 2015/09/03 13:10:34 UTC

SOLR last modified different than filesystem last modified

I am indexing a bunch of PDF's, Docs, PPT's etc with Solr 4.10.1. When I
retrieve the records each has a last-modified value, but the value is
different than what I see on the file system (a difference of exact 2
hours). Aren't those supposed to match, and if not, how can I retrieve the
same values for each file?

Thank you a lot

Re: SOLR last modified different than filesystem last modified

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
On Mon, 2015-09-07 at 02:07 -0700, sat wrote:
> additionaly I have another strange behavior. Some documents have the correct
> last-modified time and others not. Do you have an idea why this behavior
> might occur ?

Daylight savings only account for 1 hour and your problem is a 2 hours
difference. Changing time zone on the machine might have triggered that,
but then we're entering random-guessing.

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark

Re: SOLR last modified different than filesystem last modified

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
sat <sa...@deron.de> wrote:
> What do you mean by updating the viewer ?

Whatever you are using to viewing the file timestamps seems to adjust for your local timezone (which is normally a fine thing). How you tell your viewer to show UTC instead, I don't know. If you use a command line tool under Linux, I would suspect it to be very easy. If you use the in-build graphical file explorer, I suspect the only way to do so is by adjusting timezone settings for the whole system. Etc.

- Toke Eskildsen

Re: SOLR last modified different than filesystem last modified

Posted by sat <sa...@deron.de>.
Thank you very much for your reply.

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
On Thu, 2015-09-03 at 04:10 -0700, sat wrote:
> I am indexing a bunch of PDF's, Docs, PPT's etc with Solr 4.10.1. When I
> retrieve the records each has a last-modified value, but the value is
> different than what I see on the file system (a difference of exact 2
> hours).

I guess your local timezone is UTC+2 and that your country is using
daylight saving? Solr uses UTC only for timestamps, which is fairly
unambiguous. If you want the filesystem dates to match, you can
normalise them to UTC in your viewer - how to do that depends on your
system.

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark