Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Xiuyu Zhang <xi...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/03 22:39:48 UTC

can not get forward page in an action

Not sure my subject is confused everyone.  I just
resend this message.

Hi all,

I am writing a simple application to learn how to use
tiles in struts 1.1 with weblogic 8.1.  but after the
action forward to another jsp, it's an empty page.
This problem happen even when I forward my action to a
simple 'hello world' jsp page.  I
attached the directory I used.  The steps I proceeded
are below:

put struct-blank directory in application directory:
1. write a first.jsp
2. write TestForm.java and TestAction.java
3. configure struts-config.xml(add form-bean and
action)
4. change action using ActionComponentSevlet in
web.xml
5 configure a definition in tile-defs.xml
6. start the server and
http://localhost:7001/struct-blank2/first.jsp
7 click the submit button
8.  I got an empty page in stead of a word success.

On weblogic configuration, I put struts.jar in the
server/lib.

I also try the same files in tomcat 5.0 and get the
same result.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Katelyn

http://shopping.yahoo.com

RE: can not get forward page in an action

Posted by David G Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
You list Plug-Ins so you must be using Struts 1.1
so here are the other problems:

1. Your "web.xml" needs to use the servlet-class:
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet

2. The function name automatically called is "execute"
not "service".  So, not finding an "execute" in your
TestAction class, it uses the default "execute" which
does nothing, hence the blank page.

3. Relating to #2 above, the "execute" function should
be declared properly and is missing the "throws ..."
at the end of the declaration (i.e. after the
"...(mapping, form request, response) ADD_HERE {"

4. You need to fix where you put "html" and "tiles"
in your sucesstilepage.jsp because you seem to accidentally
invoke the html tags using the prefix "tiles" and the
tiles as the prefix "html".  (Thus causing a big JSP
explosion)

5. TestForm is an ActionForm and cannot have a
<form-property/> tag.  Those are for dynaforms only.

<Nitpick>
Your tiles-defs references work, but, technically,
you spelled the jsp names and the names in the tiles-defs.xml
page with success having one "c" when it should have two.
</Nitpick>

Email me privately if you need me to zip that up and
send it to you for comparison if the instructions are
missing anything.

Regards,
David

Posted by Xiuyu Zhang <xi...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, David.

Posted by Xiuyu Zhang <xi...@yahoo.com>.
[...]

weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:387)
	at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:431)
	at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:305)

Posted by de...@betterway.net.