Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org> on 2006/05/08 19:48:30 UTC

User Management Application in Cocoon, maybe based on CForms

Dear List!

Does anyone know of a Cocoon application which managed user objects (and
possibly roles and some custom attributes) which are part of an LDAP tree?

I would be looking for something which I can pass a certain LDAP
context. It should list all user objects found in that context and
provide functionality to add and edit users and assign them roles?

Shouldn't that be something which a lot of people who have been
developing all kinds of CMS and portals based on Cocoon had a need for
before? Or am I just missing the obvious?

Just to make it clear: I have understood how to use LDAP and the Cocoon
authentication framework. This is not my question. I am talking about a
(cuszomizable, maybe embeddable) UI!

Regards,
Torsten

Re: User Management Application in Cocoon, maybe based on CForms

Posted by Simone Gianni <s....@thebug.it>.
Hi Torsten,
I think what you need is easy achievable with the LDAPTransformer, a
couple of JX templates and some XSLTs. Please have a look at the
LDAPTransformer documentation :
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/ldap-transformer.html , it's not
the easiest documentation I've seen around, and there are no samples, so
I'm afraid you'll have to search on google, ask here for more
informations, or look at the source code and make some experiments.

Anyway, basically the LDAPTransformer expects an XML representing an
LDAP query (or update AFAIR) as an input, connect to the LDAP server,
performs the required operation, and returns an XSL representation of
the result. So you can use JX Templates to create/parametrize your LDAP
queries, then pass then thru the LDAP Transformer, and then format them
with XSLT to obtain HTML pages.

Hope this helps, sorry if i gave you vague informations, but I've never
used this component.
Simone

Posted by Simone Gianni <s....@thebug.it>.
Hi Warrel and Torsten,
the LDAPTransformer should do updates too, there are some problems as
stated here http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1843 , but a
patch has been provided and Nicola is reporting it to work. If you like
to try this way, also try the patch, and if it work we can commit it.

Simone

--
Simone Gianni

Re: User Management Application in Cocoon, maybe based on CForms

Posted by Wa...@westsussex.gov.uk.
[...]

make any other use of its content.   West Sussex County Council takes
carry out your own checks before opening any attachment.