Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "M. Sean Gilligan" <se...@msgilligan.com> on 2004/06/24 04:48:48 UTC

Maven2 (was Re: maven-plugin-plugin generate docs improvement)

>These are all good ideas, however it is probably not worth the effort at this
>point. m2's plugins are self documenting in the fashion you are talking about,
>and there is a clear direction to start pushing them in to use in maven 1 in the
>near future.

Sounds cool.  This leads to the following questions:
1) Is there a ballpark idea of time-frames for alpha, beta, or final?
2) Where is the best place to find documentation?
3) Is there a CVS  module and/or branch for it?)
4) Is there a plugin plugin for m2, yet?
5) How much support will be available for maven1 (and for how long)?  Are there plans for a maven 1.1 prior to Maven 2,  etc?

-- Sean

Re: Maven2 (was Re: maven-plugin-plugin generate docs improvement)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 22:48, M. Sean Gilligan wrote:
> >These are all good ideas, however it is probably not worth the effort at this
> >point. m2's plugins are self documenting in the fashion you are talking about,
> >and there is a clear direction to start pushing them in to use in maven 1 in the
> >near future.
> >

> Sounds cool.  This leads to the following questions:

> 1) Is there a ballpark idea of time-frames for alpha, beta, or final?

Not really, but for information will be let out of the bag after the 1.0
release. Users are really waiting for 1.0 so I'll let that happen first
before a release of any sort is made.

> 2) Where is the best place to find documentation?

It's not worth looking at, honestly.

> 3) Is there a CVS  module and/or branch for it?)

All of maven2 core lives here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven-components/

There is also a maven2 dev list if you have questions:

m2-dev@maven.apache.org

Normal subscription rules appy.

> 4) Is there a plugin plugin for m2, yet?

Yes.

> 5) How much support will be available for maven1 (and for how long)?  Are there plans for a maven 1.1 prior to Maven 2,  etc?

I don't think m1 will be going anywhere and many features from m2 will
be backported into m1 and I'm sure there will be 1.x releases before 2.0
final is released. m2 is still quite a ways off.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org