Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Helma <h....@mi.unimaas.nl> on 2004/10/13 14:23:17 UTC

Re: the case of the over enthusiastic system admin

> > > an over enthsiastic system admin changing the
> > > javascript files?
> > > one of them is bound to have an enthusiastic
> > system
> > > admin who may try to change things in the JS to
> > get
> > > them to work "his way."
> > >
> > > What is the best way to prevent this from
> > happening?

Hi,

I don't want to be rude here, but being a system admin (and developer) myself I
tend to revolt against such arrogance. I think the best way to keep system
admins from "tampering" your javascript files is by talking to them to figure
out what _THEY_ would like.

I frequently ran into situations where we had to install software on numerous
(100+) machines and the programmers required us to do something like doing each
installation by hand and enter an individual license for each machine by hand.
If they had taken the time to talk to system administrators who have to install
and maintain the software they would have done it differently (which they
finally did after much complaining from our side).

So: if you think they want to tamper with your files, why do you think they want
to do that? In the end they want nothing more than you want: have the system
running smoothly with as little effort as possible.

Bye, Helma

Re: the case of the over enthusiastic system admin

Posted by Paul Joseph <pj...@yahoo.com>.
Point taken, thank you!

(wasn't being arrogant though, just being prepared in
case ...atleast I think that was my motivation!)