Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by tapestryphoto <ph...@digiatlas.org> on 2009/01/15 12:28:53 UTC

How to specify onUnload in ?

Hi,

I have a template component that is used by all my pages.  I'd like to
be able to specify <body onUnload="..."> for one of those pages.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter what way I try I cannot get it
to work.

I can't include a <body> in the page because then there will be two
such tags (Firefox doesn't mind, but IE doesn't recognise the second
body tag - plus it is poor form anyway).

I can't include onUnload in the template <body> because it appears to
just be replaced with a standard <body> tag when the page is rendered.

I can't use any form of <t:if> ...  (which I would have liked to do -
passing the onUnload string into my template and then choosing a
single <body> or parameterised version depending on whether the value
was null) because <body> has to match with </body> and the </t:if> tag
obviously screws this up.

I can't use t:outputRaw to generate my tag because it won't generate
special characters properly ("<" and ">").

I don't recall having these sorts of problems with Tapestry 3 when I
used it many moons ago.  It seems T5 is really rather limited in this
respect.

Is there any way to do what I want? It is rather critical that I can
perform onUnload.

thanks,
p.

Re: How to specify onUnload in ?

Posted by Lubor Gajda <lu...@gmail.com>.
You can observe browser events also by using prototype Event.observe
function. For instance you can use this javascript code in your page:

Event.observe(window, 'unload', function() {
  // your unload actions
});

In this case you don't need direct access to html body element what will
simplify your situation.