Posted to users@directory.apache.org by David Parker <dp...@utica.edu> on 2019/12/04 16:00:31 UTC

Re: Directory Studio high memory usage

Hello,

After a few months without issues, I'm suddenly back to the same problem
again.  I was in the middle of using Directory Studio with a few different
connections open, and suddenly it sort of froze and wouldn't save a change
I was making to a record.  When I closed ADS and tried to open it again, I
got an error on the screen and the "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap
space" exception in the log.  This has now persisted across several
attempts to open the application.

I'm running Directory Studio 2.0.0.v20180908-M14 with OpenJDK 13 on Debian
10.  I am using -Xms128m -Xmx512m as the heap sizes in my
ApacheDirectoryStudio.ini.

When I use -Xmx2048m it will start up and I can search, but I can't open
any records in the LDAP browser.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Done here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1247

Re: Directory Studio high memory usage

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
Hi David,

yes, please open a Jira.

Thanks,
Stefan

Posted by David Parker <dp...@utica.edu>.

Posted by David Parker <dp...@utica.edu>.
Hi Stefan,

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by David Parker <dp...@utica.edu>.
Hello,

This is starting to get a bit frustrating.  I continue to have heap-related
crashes on startup, using both 2.0.0-M13 and 2.0.0-M14.  I thought I had
solved my problem with a clean install of M13 and Java 8u161, but a few
days later, I'm back to the exact same issue.  I did not have any of these
problems until I got a new desktop PC and upgraded from Debian 9 to Debian
10.  The LDAP schemas have not changed, and are not very big.  I have no
idea what's causing ADS to crash on startup with the heap error.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's my ~/.ApacheDirectoryStudio/.metadata/.log from a recent launch
attempt (this is launching 2.0.0-M13):

!SESSION 2019-12-10 13:35:25.323
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_161
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  /studio-rcp/resources/icons/linux/studio.xpm
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64
/studio-rcp/resources/icons/linux/studio.xpm

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2019-12-10 13:35:31.996
!MESSAGE Could not create action delegate for id:
org.apache.directory.studio.ldapbrowser.ui.actions.GotoDnAction
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2019-12-10 13:35:31.996
!MESSAGE Internal plug-in action delegate error on creation.
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.directory.studio.ldapbrowser.ui.actions.GotoDnNavigateMenuAction.getSelectedConnection(GotoDnNavigateMenuAction.java:116)
at
org.apache.directory.studio.ldapbrowser.ui.actions.GotoDnNavigateMenuAction.isEnabled(GotoDnNavigateMenuAction.java:72)
at
org.apache.directory.studio.ldapbrowser.common.actions.BrowserAction.selectionChanged(BrowserAction.java:145)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.refreshEnablement(PluginAction.java:206)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.createDelegate(PluginAction.java:126)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WWinPluginAction.refreshActionList(WWinPluginAction.java:167)
at org.eclipse.ui.plugin.AbstractUIPlugin$1.run(AbstractUIPlugin.java:482)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
at
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:182)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:4536)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:4154)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.release(Display.java:4206)
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.dispose(Device.java:266)
at org.apache.directory.studio.Application.start(Application.java:63)
at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
at
at
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1519)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1492)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2019-12-10 13:35:32.010
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
[...]
org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityView.createPartControl(CompatibilityView.java:143)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityPart.create(CompatibilityPart.java:340)
at
at
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:55)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:966)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:931)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.inject(InjectorImpl.java:151)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(InjectorImpl.java:375)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.make(InjectorImpl.java:294)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(ContextInjectionFactory.java:162)
at
org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.createFromBundle(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:105)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-12-10 13:35:32.016
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.eclipse.jface.resource.JFaceResources.getResources(JFaceResources.java:209)
at
org.eclipse.jface.resource.JFaceResources.getResources(JFaceResources.java:227)
at org.eclipse.ui.part.WorkbenchPart.dispose(WorkbenchPart.java:100)
at
org.apache.directory.studio.ldapbrowser.ui.views.browser.BrowserView.dispose(BrowserView.java:122)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityPart.invalidate(CompatibilityPart.java:237)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityPart.destroy(CompatibilityPart.java:403)
at
at
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:55)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:966)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:931)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.disposed(InjectorImpl.java:426)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.Requestor.disposed(Requestor.java:154)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.ContextObjectSupplier$ContextInjectionListener.update(ContextObjectSupplier.java:78)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.TrackableComputationExt.update(TrackableComputationExt.java:111)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.TrackableComputationExt.handleInvalid(TrackableComputationExt.java:74)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.EclipseContext.dispose(EclipseContext.java:176)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.EclipseContext.dispose(EclipseContext.java:161)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.EclipseContext.dispose(EclipseContext.java:161)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.EclipseContext.dispose(EclipseContext.java:161)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.EclipseContext.dispose(EclipseContext.java:161)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.osgi.EclipseContextOSGi.dispose(EclipseContextOSGi.java:106)
at
org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.osgi.EclipseContextOSGi.bundleChanged(EclipseContextOSGi.java:139)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.dispatchEvent(BundleContextImpl.java:903)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEventSynchronous(ListenerQueue.java:148)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.publishBundleEventPrivileged(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:213)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.publishBundleEvent(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:120)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.publishBundleEvent(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:112)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor.publishModuleEvent(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:156)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.publishEvent(Module.java:476)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.doStop(Module.java:634)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.stop(Module.java:498)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.SystemModule.stop(SystemModule.java:202)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle$SystemBundle$EquinoxSystemModule$1.run(EquinoxBundle.java:165)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-12-10 13:35:32.019
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.directory.studio.ldapbrowser.ui.views.connection.ConnectionView.dispose(ConnectionView.java:98)