Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com> on 2000/05/10 15:29:16 UTC

Cocoon-1.7.3 is not starting correctly

My ISP is on crack again, so I can't get to the FAQs if they have been
updated.

I recently upgraded my Tomcat-3.1/Cocoon-1.7.2 system to the same server
running
Cocoon-1.7.3.  My major problem is that I get the following message:

Publishing Engine could not be initialized.

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:135)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.initServlet(ServletWrapper.java:293)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.loadServlet(ServletWrapper.java:273)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:363)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:523)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:146)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:334)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

What could possibly be going on?

I updated the classpath to all the jars to the correct location, I
changed where
Tomcat looks for the properties file, and generally made the changes
that I did when
I upgraded from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2--that time with success.

Re: Cocoon-1.7.3 is not starting correctly

Posted by Brian Doherty <bd...@mailsvr.icon.palo-alto.med.va.gov>.
I just fixed this myself.  My clue came from a message in the mailing list archives;  go to the cocoon
web site to find it.  Sort by date, and look at the newest ones.  The thread is called something like
"newbie problem".  Essentially your cocoon.properties files need to be inside a valid context, i.e.
ROOT/WEB-INF/cocoon.properties.  The docs, including the sample chapter from the XML book, are wrong for
1.7.3.