Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Robert Carter (ABS, Inc.)" <ro...@abs-consulting.com> on 2003/02/08 22:22:09 UTC

Problems with Mail List Functionality

Platform: Win2K, JRE 1.4.1_01, James 2.1
Problem: Following error message in the spoolmanager.log file
08/02/03 16:04:57 ERROR spoolmanager: Exception in processor <root>
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.AvalonListserv.getMembers(AvalonLists
erv.java:132)
	at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.GenericListserv.service(GenericListse
rv.java:156)
	at
org.apache.james.transport.LinearProcessor.service(LinearProcessor.java:
362)
	at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.process(JamesSpoolManager.j
ava:385)
	at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.run(JamesSpoolManager.java:
315)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.ExecutableRunnable.execute(Execu
tableRunnable.java:47)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.ja
va:80)
08/02/03 16:04:57 ERROR spoolmanager: An error occurred processing
Mail1044738268676-3 through root
08/02/03 16:04:57 ERROR spoolmanager: Result was error

What I did:
POP3 and SMTP works.  Subscribing to the list server works.  I get this
error message when I try to send to the list server.

I did some research in the mail list archives and there are some
messages concerning this error, but no solutions where posted.  Thanks
for your time.

----
Robert Carter

RE: Problems with Mail List Functionality

Posted by "Robert Carter (ABS, Inc.)" <ro...@abs-consulting.com>.
Noel,

Here are the relevant elements in the config.xml file.

	 <mailet match="CommandForListserv=ctiug@localhost"
class="AvalonListservManager">
    	    <repositoryName>ctiug</repositoryName>
  	 </mailet>

	 <mailet match="RecipientIs=ctiug@localhost"
class="AvalonListserv">
    	    <repositoryName>citug</repositoryName>
            <membersonly>true</membersonly>
            <attachmentsallowed>true</attachmentsallowed>
            <replytolist>true</replytolist>
            <subjectprefix>ctiug</subjectprefix>
  	 </mailet>

      <repository name="ctiug"
class="org.apache.james.userrepository.ListUsersJdbcRepository"
destinationURL="db://ctiug/lists/ctiug">
         <sqlFile>file://conf/sqlResources.xml</sqlFile>
      </repository>

---
Robert

Posted by "Robert Carter (ABS, Inc.)" <ro...@abs-consulting.com>.
Noel,

Great news.  That did it.  Thanks for your help.  It's always the little
things that mess ya up.

---
Robert

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> In the UserStore log I noticed something weird.  It
> say that 'ctiug' user store does not exist.

Look again.  The message is:

  users-store: No users repository called: citug

c-I-T-u-g, instead of c-T-I-u-g.  You have a spelling error in the
repositoryName element for the listserv mailet.  It is spelled properly for
the repository and listserv manager configuration, but not for the listserv,
itself.

	--- Noel

  <mailet match="CommandForListserv=ctiug@localhost"
          class="AvalonListservManager">
    <repositoryName>ctiug</repositoryName>
  </mailet>

  <mailet match="RecipientIs=ctiug@localhost"
          class="AvalonListserv">
    <repositoryName>citug</repositoryName>
<!--                ^^^^^  oops - should be ctiug  -->

Posted by "Robert Carter (ABS, Inc.)" <ro...@abs-consulting.com>.
Noel,

Here is the latest.  I have run an SQL trace to see if anything shows up
on that end.  I did see James, upon start-up, verify the 'lists' table
exist.  When I send a mail to the list there is nothing in the SQL
trace.  So, it appears the getMembers function does not even query the
database.  I was thinking that it might be a column data type
conversion.

I have attached a file that contains debug information from the Spooler
and UserStore logs.  In the UserStore log I noticed something weird.  It
say that 'ctiug' user store does not exist.  However, in my config.xml
the only reference to 'ctiug' is the list not any particular user
storage.

---
Robert

PS - I apologize about the last message having the certificate.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Robert,

Posted by "Robert Carter (ABS, Inc.)" <ro...@abs-consulting.com>.