Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Aji Janis <aj...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/10 20:38:03 UTC

Hadoop hardware failure recovery

I am very new to Hadoop. I am considering setting up a Hadoop cluster
consisting of 5 nodes where each node has 3 internal hard drives. I
understand HDFS has a configurable redundancy feature but what happens if
an entire drive crashes (physically) for whatever reason? How does Hadoop
recover, if it can, from this situation? What else should I know before
setting up my cluster this way? Thanks in advance.

Re: Hadoop hardware failure recovery

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hello Aji,

   Hadoop's redundancy feature allows data to be replicated over the
entire cluster. So, even if entire disk is gone or even the entire
machine for that matter, your data is still there in other node(s).
But, we need to keep one thing in mind that the 'master' node is the
single point of failure in a Hadoop cluster. If the machine running
master process(es) is down, you are trapped. For more detail you can
visit the home page at : redundancy feature

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Mohammad,

The HA feature is very much functional, if you've tried it. I would
not say it is "not production ready", for I see it in use at several
places already, including my humbly small MBP (two local NNs, just for
the fun of it) :)

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop hardware failure recovery

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Mohammad,

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop hardware failure recovery

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Mohammad,

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop hardware failure recovery

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Mohammad,

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop hardware failure recovery

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Buell <jb...@vmware.com>.
This is never an issue on vSphere.  The ESXi hypervisor does not send the completion interrupt back to the guest until the IO is finished, so if the guest OS thinks an IO is flushed to disk, it really is flushed to disk. hsync() will work in a ESXi VM exactly like in a native OS.

The physical storage layer might lie about completion (e.g., most SANs with redundant battery-backed caches), but this applies equally to native and virtualized OSes.

It is always tempting to implement some kind of write caching in the virtualization layer to try to improve storage performance, but of course this comes at the cost of safety and predictability.

Jeff

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 13 August 2012 08:42, Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hey Steve,
>
> Interesting, thanks for pointing that out! I didn't know that it
> disables this by default :)

It's always something to watch out for: someone implementing a disk FS, OS,
VM environment discovering that they get great benchmark numbers if they
make flushing async, and thinking "most people don't need it anyway".
That's mostly true -and some programs over-flush-, but if you do want to be
sure your data is saved to disk, these people are being dangerous rather
than helpful

I don't think it's an issue if you are saving to network mounted storage
-which can include the storage of the host OS. If you do some experiments,
NFS chat to the host system is usually as fast as working with a virtual
HDD in the same host OS -which has extra layers of indirection. Virtual
HDDs can get fragmented even when the VM thinks it's just allocated big
linear blocks -you need to defrag the virtual HDD then the physical disk
image to correct that.

Re: Hadoop hardware failure recovery

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Steve,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Steve,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Steve,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Steve,

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Aji,

The best place would be to ask on Apache Accumulo's own user lists,
subscrib-able at http://accumulo.apache.org/mailing_list.html

That said, if Accumulo bases itself on HDFS, then its data safety
should be the same or nearly the same as what HDFS itself can offer.

Note that with 2.1.0 (upcoming) and above releases of HDFS, we offer a
working hsync() API that allows you to write files with guarantee that
it has been written to the disk (like the fsync() *nix call). You can
read some more about this at an earlier thread:
http://search-hadoop.com/m/ATVOETSy4X1

HTH, and do let us know what you find on the Accumulo side.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop hardware failure recovery

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.