Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net> on 2018/01/05 07:20:56 UTC

Developer experience / compilation process

Hi,
I am curious about others experience regarding your developer experience:

What I am doing all the time in a loop is changing a bit of the code,
compiling, waiting..., checking the output, next iteration.
BTW, this is the same with Flex but because I am less experienced with
Royale I need to compile a bit more.

If I remember it corrrectly the compilation process was already optimized in
the past so I wonder if there's still potential to improve it or if there
are basically other possibilities to get a faster result.
(I also remember that Alex had worked on a Live editor POC which was
promising)

I know there are tons of other tasks at the moment so for now, I am still
interested what your experience is or if somebody has tips or ideas how to
improve this 'workflow'.

Thanks,
Olaf

--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

Re: Developer experience / compilation process

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
That's right :)
7 secs are very good...30sec for a little app it's not, if you didn't have
that solution that will be a real problem ;)

> After setting -debug=true in Moonshine the compilation time for our little
> TryItNow app decreases from approximately 30s to 7s, ... I just forgot
> about
> this compiler option since using/testing Moonshine.
>
> >As always, I want to order things by priority...
> I agree and it's of for me now ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Developer experience / compilation process

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
When I was developing MDL library, I was with debug= true and for me
compilation was quick.
When I tried things this months here and there I don't think it was slow.
So for me this could be something to look later.

As always, I want to order things by priority and we should attack what we
don't already have yet that improve something that is already working

that's always my strategy in all lines of work for a project that is not
100% in all its features

My 2 ctns :)

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Developer experience / compilation process

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by Gabe Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
If you compile using debug=true and only JSRoyale, the compile times should be very fast. Even very large apps take me less than 10 seconds for a debug build.

Make sure you don’t clean between compiles, because that adds on time.

Alex at one point created a POC for live reload when apps are rebuilt. Developing that more would be a nice project at some point.

HTH,
Harbs

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Olaf,
that's what I do. If I'm developing something in Royale framework, I
compile as well the libraries affected.
But that's basically the workflow for me too.
Do you think that could be improved? how?

thanks!