Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Correia <ri...@ugamsolutions.com> on 2003/11/07 14:36:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Huge access.log effect

Hi,

My server administrator is not aware of logrotate and I need to explain
him the effect of huge size access.log and error.log.

Our server is pIII 733 Mhz with 512 MB RAM running red hat Linux.
Apache version is 1.3.23

Access.log size is 1.7GB [1.7 Gigabytes]
Error.log  size is 6.1MB

I am sure that 1.7GB access file will affect the server performance. How
can I explain my administrator about this ?

Thanks
Richard

Re: [users@httpd] Huge access.log effect

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Richard Correia wrote:
> My server administrator is not aware of logrotate and I need to explain
> him the effect of huge size access.log and error.log.
>
> Our server is pIII 733 Mhz with 512 MB RAM running red hat Linux.
> Apache version is 1.3.23
>
> Access.log size is 1.7GB [1.7 Gigabytes]
> Error.log  size is 6.1MB
>
> I am sure that 1.7GB access file will affect the server performance. How
> can I explain my administrator about this ?

I'm not sure if it will affect performance or not.  But you might be in
for a nasty surprise, since many OSes won't support files > 2GB.  The
result could be lost logs or a frozen web server.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Huge access.log effect

Posted by Matt Simonsen <ma...@careercast.com>.
On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 05:36, Richard Correia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My server administrator is not aware of logrotate

He must be aware that logs eventually need to be rotated. If you have to
convince him of this I'd be a little concerned.

>  and I need to explain him the effect of huge size access.log and error.log

I don't know there's anything to explain.

Practically one really good reason for regular rotation is so that
compression is possible/ hurts less. You can't compress if you can't
rotate files (unless you pipe your log through gzip, but that's another
issue). Furthermore, regular rotation helps in that if you have a 20
gigs of log file data and you want to read only the last 10 lines you're
going to be in for a long wait if all the data is in one file. On the
other hand, if that's split into 100 small dated files it's much faster
to find what you want since you would need to uncompress 1/100 as much
data.

> I am sure that 1.7GB access file will affect the server performance.

I'm not aware of a serious performance ding (or any for that matter) for
writing to a larger log file... are you really sure or do you just
suspect it's this way? Is there something you know about large files and
performance that would add to my understanding of the issue?

Matt