Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Justin Ryan <ju...@ziprealty.com> on 2016/05/17 19:42:26 UTC

Follow-up: Re: kafka-mesos still refusing to launch brokers on one cluster

Hiya again!

Following up..

Some weeks ago folks on the list helped me troubleshoot a couple of issues:

  (a) kafka-mesos completely failing to register a framework at all on one of my clusters
  (b) tasks disappearing from mesos view, even though the processes are still running

I have at least somewhat overcome (a), however it seems that although my kafka-mesos config has all three zookeeper / mesos-master hosts, it only works when running locally on the active leader.  There are no firewall rules which prevent communication between these hosts – it would be difficult for zk and mesos to have elections at all if so.

I also noticed this morning regarding (b) that my kafka brokers had disappeared from the mesos list, but once I forced the host running kafka-mesos scheduler as the leader and restarted the scheduler, it found all of the existing running processes and has them listed as RUNNING and started 4 weeks ago.

Has anyone run into issues like this, or have any ideas what I might be missing? I'm approaching confidence to run in production since *technically* nothing is horribly wrong wrt the kafka brokers actually working, and I run a *lot* of them, so I'm not terribly worried about the scheduler being able to immediately relaunch a failed broker.  Mostly it just feels like man-behind-the-curtain distributed systems.  "Yes, yes, we have HA, but it usually doesn't work unless I fiddle with it manually." ;d

As always, thanks in advance!

Justin

On 4/19/16, 2:13 PM, "Justin Ryan" <ju...@ziprealty.com> wrote:

>Hiya Vinod, thanks again for chiming in!
>

>Both frameworks are indeed binding to the same IP/interface, the kafka-mesos scheduler has LIBPROCESS_IP set, per its’ docs.
>

>strace tells me that it tries to connect and then pretty much goes quiet. this socket does show as ESTABLISHED in netstat.
>

>—
>0419 13:11:49.881398 30511 sched.cpp:222] Version: 0.27.1
>I0419 13:11:49.890899 30556 sched.cpp:326] New master detected at master@10.100.1.158:5050
>[pid 30556] connect(43, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(5050), sin_addr=inet_addr("10.100.1.158")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress)
>I0419 13:11:49.892683 30556 sched.cpp:336] No credentials provided. Attempting to register without authentication
>[pid 30531] +++ exited with 0 +++
>Process 30578 attached
>[pid 30552] +++ exited with 0 +++
>
>--
>

>From: Vinod Kone <vi...@apache.org>
>Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 1:08 PM
>To: user <us...@mesos.apache.org>
>Subject: Re: kafka-mesos still refusing to launch brokers on one cluster
>

>On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Justin Ryan
><ju...@ziprealty.com> wrote:
>
>Marathon has no trouble registering a framework and launching jobs on this cluster, only kafka-mesos. :/
>

>Are both these frameworks binding to the same IP/interface? Does anyone of them use any LIBPROCESS_IP or LIBPROCESS_PORT env variables?

The information in this electronic mail message is the sender's confidential business and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this internet electronic mail message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. The sender believes that this E-mail and any attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and its attachments could have been infected during transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective and remedial action about viruses and other defects. The sender's employer is not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way.