Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org> on 2020/10/15 00:51:15 UTC

[REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Oct 2020

The Apache Accumulo sorted, distributed key/value store is a robust, scalable,
high performance data storage system that features cell-based access control
and customizable server-side processing. It is based on Google's BigTable
design and is built on top of Apache Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Thrift.

## Issues:
We continue to track the redirect or shutdown of http://www.accumulodata.com.
The owner is still trying to reach an actual person at Amazon to figure out the
appropriate account that was used and reactivate it.  Initial emails are at [1].

## Membership Data:
Apache Accumulo was founded 2012-03-20 (9 years ago)
There are currently 37 committers and 37 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Arvind Shyamsundar on 2020-04-15.
- No new committers. Last addition was Arvind Shyamsundar on 2020-04-16.

## Project Activity:
- We completed our rename of our git branch to 'main' [2] and have begun
making changes to transition away from other potentially harmfully terminology
such as renaming out 'master' component to 'manager' [3].  This effort will
take some time and potentially several releases to complete.
- Apache Accumulo 1.10 was completed, our first LTM or Long Term Maintenance
release [4].

## Community Health:
- Christopher Tubbs updated all our projects [5] with the tag #hacktober to
increase community participation as part of Digital Ocean's Hacktoberfest [6].
Hard to track actual metrics as a result of this change, but we have added 5
new contributors since the last report and 2 in the past week [7].
- Mailing list particpation and github issues are at least consistent, perhaps
slightly increased.

[1]:https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/514d3cf9162e72f4aa13be1db5d6685999fc83755695308a529de4d6@%3Cprivate.accumulo.apache.org%3E
[2]:https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ra4b972e27eef1d21a33b9e64a8be5ffd7bbef30b8cd965465e32bdc8%40%3Cdev.accumulo.apache.org%3E
[3]:https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rb68e1264d49b98a06719c0954f5a99732d21fbbafd8030fa226a976e%40%3Cdev.accumulo.apache.org%3E