Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Taylor <dt...@icloud.com.INVALID> on 2022/02/23 22:46:05 UTC

HELP WITH MAC VERSION & MORE

SEE BELOW ERRORS; TALKED WITH APPLE SUPPORT THEY SUGGESTED SENDING ERROR MESSAGE DIRECTLY. THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT BY OPEN OFFICE CLOSING SEVERAL TIMES AND SENDING ERROR MESSAGE TO YOU…

SEE ATTACHED ERROR MESSAGE/>

PLEASE, HELP FIX THIS PROBLEM, I HAVE BEEN USING OPEN OFFICE SINCE 2000; PREFER TO CONTINUE USING. I RECOMMEND TO ALL THIS APPLICATION, IT IS MUCH BETTER THAN APPLES OR MICROSOFT'S STUFF...

Re: HELP WITH MAC VERSION & MORE

Posted by PCS <pe...@bigpond.com>.
I do not have the technical expertise to be able to decipher the error messages generated by the system, and I believe they are intended to enable developers to find bugs and fix them in future versions, not to enable you to be provided with feedback, so for a glitch like you have described I would quit the app and re-launch it, or Force Quit and re-launch it, if necessary, though that appears to have happened already in your case.

If that hasn’t fixed the problem I would shut down and restart the computer, then try the app again, and if that doesn’t fix it I would uninstall the OO app (just move it from the Apps folder to the trash initially, and leave it there until you’ve sorted the problem, “just in case") and download a virgin copy of the app and install that to see if that fixes the problem, then empty the corrupted copy of the app from the trash if the app re-install fixes the problem. This is only a user work-around, not a technician’s fix, but it has worked for me on occasion in the past.

My apologies if I am stating the obvious and you have already done what I am suggesting.

Unfortunately, if that doesn’t work I don’t have any idea how to fix the problem, other than to suspect a possible glitch in the OS requiring it to be fixed or reinstalled, or you could update instead of reinstall if you have not got the latest version (I generally defer major updates until most of the glitches are sorted out by the early adopters), but I have never had to do an OS reinstall, other than the time I corrupted an OS update by doing something stupid part-way through the install process and turned the computer into a paperweight. I have some gripes with Apple Computer but I have always found the Mac OS to be stable and reliable.

If you do suspect the OS may have a glitch, do NOT just go ahead and do a reinstall, that is a tedious, time consuming job. Instead begin by booting into the Mac’s diagnostics at startup, i.e. press the power button and immediately hold down the D key until diagnostics begins. I have not used that since the time I turned my MacMini into a paperweight, quite a few years ago now, and I don't have time to check it now, so I can’t promise it will enable you to solve your problem, but if all else has failed it could be worth looking at the diagnostics before you go as far as reinstalling the OS. But be careful, bad things might happen if you do the wrong thing there. However I would be surprised if the things I first suggested don’t fix your problem, I can’t recall ever having had an app problem that was caused by the OS.

Regards,

PCS.