Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2003/04/22 10:43:50 UTC

Problems with Maven 1.0-b9 from maven.apache.org

Hi,

I just found out (after spending two hours with it), that jars built
by the maven 1.0-b9 downloaded straight from maven.apache.org don't
work with at least the 4.0.4 Tomcat engine (which is featured
prominently in the current TDK). The problem seems to be the
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file.

This problem persists with all the jars on the classpath, I personally
experienced this with turbine.jar and torque.jar.

If you find errors like this in your tomcat logs:

2003-04-22 10:36:50 WebappLoader[/securitymanager]: Deploy JAR /WEB-INF/lib/turbine-2.3-dev.jar to /mnt/home.net/henning/jakarta/tdk/webapps/securitymanager/WEB-INF/
lib/turbine-2.3-dev.jar
2003-04-22 10:36:50 StandardHost[localhost]: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
LifecycleException:  start: :  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: avalon-framework,commons-beanutils,commons-codec,commons-collections,commons-configuration,commons
-email,commons-fileupload,commons-lang,commons-logging,commons-pool,cryptix,ecs,excalibur-component,excalibur-instrument,excalibur-logger,excalibur-pool,activation,j
avamail,jdbc,jndi,junit,oro,jython,log4j,logkit,servletapi,stratum,torque,velocity,village,xalan,xercesImpl,xmlParserAPIs,xmlrpc-Extension-Name
[... stack trace ...]
----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: avalon-framework,commons-beanutils,commons-codec,commons-collections,commons-configuration,commons-email,commons-fileupload,commo
ns-lang,commons-logging,commons-pool,cryptix,ecs,excalibur-component,excalibur-instrument,excalibur-logger,excalibur-pool,activation,javamail,jdbc,jndi,junit,oro,jyt
hon,log4j,logkit,servletapi,stratum,torque,velocity,village,xalan,xercesImpl,xmlParserAPIs,xmlrpc-Extension-Name
[... stack trace ...]
2003-04-22 10:36:50 StandardHost[localhost]: Error deploying application at context path /securitymanager
java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start: LifecycleException:  start: :  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: avalon-framework,commons-beanutils
,commons-codec,commons-collections,commons-configuration,commons-email,commons-fileupload,commons-lang,commons-logging,commons-pool,cryptix,ecs,excalibur-component,e
xcalibur-instrument,excalibur-logger,excalibur-pool,activation,javamail,jdbc,jndi,junit,oro,jython,log4j,logkit,servletapi,stratum,torque,velocity,village,xalan,xerc
esImpl,xmlParserAPIs,xmlrpc-Extension-Name
[... stack trace ...]
2003-04-22 10:36:51 HostConfig[localhost] Error deploying web application directory securitymanager
java.io.IOException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start: LifecycleException:  start: :  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: avalon-framew
ork,commons-beanutils,commons-codec,commons-collections,commons-configuration,commons-email,commons-fileupload,commons-lang,commons-logging,commons-pool,cryptix,ecs,
excalibur-component,excalibur-instrument,excalibur-logger,excalibur-pool,activation,javamail,jdbc,jndi,junit,oro,jython,log4j,logkit,servletapi,stratum,torque,veloci
ty,village,xalan,xercesImpl,xmlParserAPIs,xmlrpc-Extension-Name
[... stack trace ...]

then this is your problem.

For the moment, I'd advise turbine developers to stay on b8 +
torque-plugin.

	Regards
		Henning

Re: Problems with Maven 1.0-b9 from maven.apache.org

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
I've been getting this with tomcat 4.1 as well.  It also appeared as a
ClassNotFoundException for the classes referred to in the web.xml for the
webapp (I have a couple of listeners in mine).

As suggested, reverting to maven b8 solves the problem.  I assume maven's
java plugin is responsible, but I don't have time to investigate at present.

Cheers,

Scott
--
Scott Eade