Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Winer, Matthew" <Ma...@medec.com> on 2001/06/05 23:03:32 UTC

Tomcat in Win2k with IIS

I am currently trying to install Tomcat 3.2.2 on a windows 2000 box with
IIS.  I am really confused. Can Tomcat be run standalone as its own web
server?  Or does it have to have a webserver installed (like IIS).  I tried
to follow the tomcat_ug.htm file for installation.  I went through the "How
do I Install the Binary Version of Tomcat" and when I got down to set
environment variable JAVA_HOME.  I started to loose it.  I don't have JDK
installed but I do have JRE1.3 installed (Is there a difference?)  And what
is the Java interpreter, and where do I find that?

So then I moved on.  I saw that I could use scrips to setup Tomcat.  I tried
Tomcat env and I guess it didn't work.

Next I tried the Tomcat IIS How To.  I followed the Installation.  I
downloaded the DLL and put it in \bin\win32\i386
I went through and did minor changes to workers.properties.  Then I went
through the painful task of adding the key and strings into the registry.
It is a new web server so I made the root directory the dir with the DLL
file.  (Does it have to be a virtual dir?)  I then added the filter and
restarted IIS.  There is still a Red arrow next to the filter.  That is when
I put everything down.  (BIG HEADACH)

Thank you for your time!

Matthew Winer

RE: Tomcat in Win2k with IIS

Posted by "William C. Robertson" <in...@bytetherapy.com>.
I'm not the one to be answering questions, but at least I have a green up
arrow.

It seems the green up arrow is more a product of file exitence than file
content.  If I rename workers.properties to XX.properties I get a red arrow.
If I change the contents of the file to garbage the arrow stays green.

Check paths in your registry settings, and the path for your filter.  Don't
worry about the the contents of the files until you get the green.