Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Tommy Holm - TELMORE <to...@telmore.dk> on 2003/11/25 17:49:18 UTC

Struts workflow question

Hi
I have a problem which best is described as follows. I have a primary
workflow(WF1) that at a certain time branches off to a secondary
workflow. It is left in a state so that progess can be continued at a
later stage. I my new workflow (WF2) I describe that a secondary
workflow exist(WF1) etc. Now the problem, if WF2 fails, a cleanup of WF2
is performed but WF1 is left untouched which is not desireable. I would
like to cleanup WF1 as well, how can you achieve that ?

Now my second question, it should be possible for WF2 to depend on a
secondary workflow (WF3), which means that I want to say, only execute
the action belonging to WF2 if either WF1 is active or WF2. That does
not seem to work. Can you not have more than one secondary workflow ?
And what if only on of the secondary workflows are active, when the
action associated with with WF2 is executed,  will we have a violation
then ?

Thanks for your time
Cheers
Tommy

Tommy Holm, System Udvikler
TELMORE A/S
Carl Gustavsgade 3, 2630 Taastrup
Telefon 70218700, Mobil 22582344
www.telmore.dk

Re: Struts workflow question

Posted by Matthias Bauer <ma...@livinglogic.de>.
Tommy Holm - TELMORE wrote:

>Hi
>I have a problem which best is described as follows. I have a primary
>workflow(WF1) that at a certain time branches off to a secondary
>workflow. It is left in a state so that progess can be continued at a
>later stage. I my new workflow (WF2) I describe that a secondary
>workflow exist(WF1) etc. Now the problem, if WF2 fails, a cleanup of WF2
>is performed but WF1 is left untouched which is not desireable. I would
>like to cleanup WF1 as well, how can you achieve that ?

If a workflow (in your example wf2) is violated, control is passed to a
(possibly global) forward definition. This definition should execute an
action that ends and thus cleans up all workflows that might be in
progress and needs cleanup.

>Now my second question, it should be possible for WF2 to depend on a
>secondary workflow (WF3), which means that I want to say, only execute
>the action belonging to WF2 if either WF1 is active or WF2. That does
>not seem to work. Can you not have more than one secondary workflow ?
>And what if only on of the secondary workflows are active, when the
>action associated with with WF2 is executed,  will we have a violation
>then ?

You can define any number of secondary workflow conditions. If you do,
all these conditions must be met, otherwise a workflow violation will
occur. If you want to be able to start wf2 in case either wf1 is in
state x or wf3 is in state y, you would need two different action
definitions.

Cheers,

--- Matthias