Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pavel Pragin <pp...@SolutionSet.com> on 2007/12/28 19:34:50 UTC

how to get rid of the path after the URL

Hello,

I am running a Jive application using Tomcat. The application resides in
"/tomcat/webapps/jiveforums" on the server. When I access the site I
have to use "http://www.example.com/jiveforums" .

What changes do I have to make in Tomcat  so I can omit "/jiveforums"
from the URL and just use http://www.example.com:/jiveforums . Right now
if I go this URL I get the default Tomcat page.

Please help

Thank You

.

PAVEL PRAGIN
ppragin@solutionset.com <ma...@solutionset.com>

T >  650.328.3900
M > 650.521.4377
F >  650.328.3901

SolutionSet
The Brand Technology Company
http://www.SolutionSet.com <http://www.solutionset.com/>

PA > 131 Lytton Ave., Palo Alto, CA 94301
SF > 85 Second St., San Francisco, CA 94105

RE: how to get rid of the path after the URL

Posted by Pavel Pragin <pp...@SolutionSet.com>.
Hello,

I wasn't able to find default.jsp anywhere under "/tomcat/webapps" do I just need to create one there with the
redirect?

Thanks

.
PAVEL PRAGIN
ppragin@solutionset.com

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by William Bonnet <wi...@wbonnet.net>.
Hi Pavel

> I am running a Jive application using Tomcat. The application resides in
> "/tomcat/webapps/jiveforums" on the server. When I access the site I
> have to use "http://www.example.com/jiveforums" .
>
> What changes do I have to make in Tomcat  so I can omit "/jiveforums"
> from the URL and just use http://www.example.com:/jiveforums . Right now
> if I go this URL I get the default Tomcat page.

As you were told in another email, tomcat is designed to run multiple
webapps at the same time. Maybe the easier solution, especially since
you are planning to install a production website, would be to use an
apache server running mod_rewrite ?

Using mod_rewrite you will be to rewrite the url "on the fly", and you
won't have to change anything from your current jiveforum installation.
Moreover it will be usefull if in the future you plan to add more
webapps to your tomcat. You'll be able to add more application in tomcat
since it will be installed using a standard way. Your work will be to
add the proper configuration to your apache frontend.

I hope this may help.

Hapy new year, and best regards
William