Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/05 17:03:48 UTC

Question related to resource allocation in Yarn!

Hi,

I am trying to make a small poc on top of yarn.

Within the launched application master , I am trying to request for 50
containers and launch  a same task on those allocated containers.

My config : AM registration response minimumCapability {, memory: 1024,
virtual_cores: 1, }, maximumCapability {, memory: 8192, virtual_cores: 32,
},

1) I am asking for 1G mem and 1 core container to the RM. Ideally the RM
should return me 6 - 7 containers , but the response always returns with
only 2 containers.

Why is that ?

2) So , when in the first ask 2 containers are returned , then I again
required the RM for 50 - 2 = 48 containers. I keep getting 0 containers ,
even if the previously started containers have finished.

Why is that ?

Any link explaining the allocate request of RM would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Rahul

Re: Question related to resource allocation in Yarn!

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Devaraj,

I am on Hadoop 2.0.4 . I am able to get containers now and my yarn app runs
properly. I am setting hostname as * , while requesting containers.

There is no problem as of now , only thing is I am allocated only 2
containers at one time , however I believe that the node manager can run
more containers.

2013-09-06 09:53:38,433 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.common.fica.FiCaSchedulerNode:
Assigned container container_1378441324025_0001_01_000001 of capacity
<memory:100, vCores:1> on host storyacid-lm:55407, which currently has 1
containers, <memory:100, vCores:1> used and <memory:8092, vCores:15>
available

I am requesting containers with 100 mb mem and 1 core. If  I know more
about how is the capacity if calculated per node , or how the allocation is
done , then it would be useful.

Thanks for the help!
Rahul

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.