Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2015/01/27 18:28:09 UTC

Practical next steps for pTLP experiment

Hi!

as I mentioned in a different thread, I feel really
passionate about championing the pTLP experiment.
To that end, here's what's going to happen shortly:
  #1 a couple of new projects that feel equally enthusiastic
       about trying a pTLP route (and have a level of support
       from a few board members) will submit a pTLP proposal
       to the board.
  #2 based on how #1 goes we will try to establish a path
       for existing (willing!) podlings to be converted to pTLP.
       A solicitation and details of what to expect will be posted
       on general@ with the expectations of having a couple
       existing podlings as part of the experiment

In about 3 months time frame, if #1 and #2 are moving in the
right direction, I'd like to start offering pTLP *option* for new
communities seeking to join ASF. By that time I hope to have
some amount of documentation detailing the process and pros/cons
compared to the existing IPMC led model.

In about 6 months time frame I would like to have enough details
in place to submit to IPMC and start a discussion on whether
pTLP is a viable model that needs to be encouraged and what
does it mean for IPMC and ASF Incubation process.

For all practical purposes, consider me a self-appointed pTLP
champion and please, please help along as much as you can!

Thanks,
Roman.

RE: Practical next steps for pTLP experiment

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
ComDev docs are in the CMS. All committers have write access. PMC members have publish access.

Ross

Maybe ask on dev@community rather than general@ ?? :-P

Re: Practical next steps for pTLP experiment

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> Roman,
> Under the JIRA section, I made a mistake earlier;
>
>      https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/ZEST
>
> should be
>
>      https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/QI

Fixed! As a side note: I really need to figure out how to make
sure this is a real wiki that allows folks to collaborate. Stay
tuned -- I'll try to ping the ASF INFRA tomorrow.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Roman,
Under the JIRA section, I made a mistake earlier;

     https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/ZEST

should be

     https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/QI

Niclas

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:47 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> ...2: 'let's go over to comdev and volunteer to build some documentation
> >> for an alternative launch mechanism'. This experiments with expanding
> >> comdev in the direction....
> >
> >> The momentary impulse is (2). You might find it tolerable.
> >
> > Yes, as long as it's done and discussed openly on the comdev list.
>
> Please help with both:
>     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Provisional+TLP
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Proposal+for+Apache+Zest+pTLP
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Practical next steps for pTLP experiment

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...2: 'let's go over to comdev and volunteer to build some documentation
> for an alternative launch mechanism'. This experiments with expanding
> comdev in the direction....

> The momentary impulse is (2). You might find it tolerable.

Yes, as long as it's done and discussed openly on the comdev list.

-Bertrand

Re: Practical next steps for pTLP experiment

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 5:38 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I missed a few important points in this thread last week, with which I disagree:
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...1) Draft a template resolution. Starting in the wiki is fine, but you'll
>> want to involve board@ when you have your first draft done....
>
> IMO board members have more important things to do than work on draft
> resolutions for new projects, and it's also important for drafts of
> new projects to be discussed in public. If only to allow new people
> and mentors to jump in.
>
> I strongly suggest discussing such draft resolutions on this list.
> Even if the Incubator PMC is not formally involved in managing those
> pTLPs, this list is where the know-how about creating new projects
> resides, I see no reason to move that work elsewhere.
>
>> ...2) Create a ComDev page discussing what it means to be a "provisional TLP"....
>
> I don't understand why people want these things to move to comdev -
> did you even ask the comdev PMC about this? It sounds like people want
> to send a bunch of tasks their way, without even asking.

Three possible models:

1: 'comdev will do it'. I agree with you that this is wrong.

2: 'let's go over to comdev and volunteer to build some documentation
for an alternative launch mechanism'. This experiments with expanding
comdev in the direction.

3: 'build the doc at the existing incubator.'

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> Sam --> Think there is no need for a new concept, and have no problem with
> incoming projects backed by ASF veterans to bypass the Incubator.

I believe Sam gave this based on a singular, concrete proposal. He would
likely respond differently over time, and over different proposals.

> Bertrand  --> Doesn't want a new concept for the Board to deal with.
> Suggests to run pTLP under the Incubator supervision.

He has responded else-thread.

> , but warn
> possible burden on Board if something goes wrong.

This is a concern for the pTLP community, not the Board. As we all know,
the Board has a very large hammer. If you are doing something wrong, then
you get shut down. There are a couple solutions just short of that, but
they all hurt. Badly. ... Yet the real point is: the Board doesn't have any
"extra work" that it doesn't already provided to TLPs here. And the Board
even reviews podlings, via the Incubator report. ... so we're not really
talking about any real, additional burden upon the Board.

Cheers,
-g

RE: Practical next steps for pTLP experiment

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Board@ discussions

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<Ro...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> The board have asked for the IPMC to make recommendations.

Is the precise nature of what being asked recorded anywhere?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <
chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Niclas,
>
> I'm in favor of the overall pTLP process. I don't
> agree with others that it hasn't been well specified yet. I

There is (yet) a singular page that defines the process. Roman has been
working on one. Your wiki page is coupled with other process/organizational
changes.

> think it's easy to invent things that haven't been
> done and to overlook what has been done (more than
> 1 wiki page, in Incubator-ville; an in ComDev now,
> thanks to Roman; 100s-1000s of emails over many years
> on the subject, etc.).

While agreed, and several Directors have been party to those discussions ...
the internal discussion on board@ has shown a lack of recognition/review of
all of that. This is not unexpected: that discussion occurred *here*. I
thought it was reasonable to assume our fellow Directors to be caught up on
that discussion, but that was presumptuous. ... The past years of discussion
must be distilled, rather than "oh, look in the archives".

> Continuing to play the "bring me a rock" game will
> lead to no progress.

Yeah :-(

> I don't have a ton of confidence for pTLP in the
> current board. I also fully invite the membership of
> the ASF to use this as a measuring stick for future
> board members. Ask your board member candidates during
> the next ASF member election to answer this question
> before you cast you VOTE and use it to help decide.

Agreed. Experimentation, rather than status quo.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Practical next steps for pTLP experiment

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Niclas,

I’m in favor of the overall pTLP process. I don’t
agree with others that it hasn’t been well specified yet. I
think it’s easy to invent things that haven’t been
done and to overlook what has been done (more than
1 wiki page, in Incubator-ville; an in ComDev now,
thanks to Roman; 100s-1000s of emails over many years
on the subject, etc.).

Continuing to play the “bring me a rock” game will
lead to no progress.

I don’t have a ton of confidence for pTLP in the
current board. I also fully invite the membership of
the ASF to use this as a measuring stick for future
board members. Ask your board member candidates during
the next ASF member election to answer this question
before you cast you VOTE and use it to help decide.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> ...At least superficially, it seems that there is no consensus at the Board
> level at this point in time. It is difficult to gauge whether a consensus
> in favor can be reached, or that this idea should be dropped...

To clarify my position, I'm very much in favor of the pTLP experiment,
but given that some parts of it are similar to the way podlings happen
today I would very much like the Incubator PMC and this list to be
involved in those things, to avoid making more work for the board and
to make sure the public awareness of pTLPs is the same as for
podlings.

I'm thinking of evaluating the initial proposal, preparing the board
resolution that will create a pTLP, gathering the initial PMC members
and initial committers, giving people a chance the jump in early, name
checks, "advertising" the pTLP creation etc. etc.

I might have missed something but I also haven't seen a concise
description of how pTLPs are supposed to work - this is needed at a
permanent public URL to allow us to decide if we want to move forward.

-Bertrand

RE: Practical next steps for pTLP experiment

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Ok, take ur of the incubator list. Where my only comment is as power my mail below:

PTLP is fine. Go do it (actually I'm with Sam, drop the "p" and thus drop the confusion)

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
It's not unfair. I deliberately tried to say i don't want to distract from the handover process. How you would want to handle things is not necessarily the way the incoming chair wants to handle things. By delaying the discussion until afterwards I merely want to give the incoming chair a chance to have their input, as chair.

I don't think its productive to make someone's support or otherwise of an experiment to distract from getting the right chair to replace you.

As for what's needed - that's simple a recommendation to the board which Iis clear an unambiguous. We are not there yet, we don't have consensus here. I believe we don't have consensus because we haven't tried things to provide data.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
>> <Ro...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> We don't need consensus from the board. We need data to allow the board to evaluate properly.
>>
>> That's fair, but what *exactly* do you need?..
>
> As far as I'm concerned: a concise description of exactly how a pTLP
> is supposed to work: proposal, creation, probational period,
> "graduation". At a permanent URL, and identifying who takes care of
> those various phases.

What I'm going to do is to document to a level of details here:
    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html

Hope this will be enough. Stay tuned.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
We don't need consensus from the board. We need data to allow the board to evaluate properly.

The IPMC is tasked with providing recommendations. Personally I'm waiting for the disruption a chair change brings to settle down and will then look forward to helping with some experimentation (I don't plan pTLP like experiments, I have my own ideas expressed elsewhere on this list, but your summary of my views on pTLp is a fairly accurate representation).

Ross

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who ever said the Incubator has the exclusive Right to be the only way to
> become part of the Apache Software Foundation? New approaches can be
> discussed anywhere. At the end of the day, it will be the Board who votes
> on a pTLP resolution.

Resolution R2, paragraph 3:

http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2002/board_minutes_2002_10_16.txt

That being said, it is perfectly "in bounds" for new resolutions to be
proposed and considered.  Also worth reading (search for "proposed
resolution"):

http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2012/board_minutes_2012_07_25.txt

> -g

- Sam Ruby

Re: Practical next steps for pTLP experiment

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:38 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I missed a few important points in this thread last week, with which I
> disagree:
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...1) Draft a template resolution. Starting in the wiki is fine, but
> you'll
> > want to involve board@ when you have your first draft done....
>
> IMO board members have more important things to do than work on draft
> resolutions for new projects,

Read it again, Bertrand: TEMPLATE RESOLUTION.

The Board doesn't let arbitrary resolutions just drop on our desk. We
expect them to be in a form that we agree with. Thus, any pTLP resolution
must fit our expectations. That means "how does this look, Board? what
needs to change?"

Part of that has already occurred, when I provided some feedback on the
(concrete) Zest resolution. A template still needs to be created from that.

> and it's also important for drafts of
> new projects to be discussed in public. If only to allow new people
> and mentors to jump in.

Resolutions don't need to be discussed, since they are "fill in the blank"
from a template. What needs to be discussed with the Board, is that
template.

> I strongly suggest discussing such draft resolutions on this list.
> Even if the Incubator PMC is not formally involved in managing those
> pTLPs, this list is where the know-how about creating new projects
> resides, I see no reason to move that work elsewhere.

Already agreed to. No need to beat that dead horse.

> > ...2) Create a ComDev page discussing what it means to be a "provisional
> TLP"....
>
> I don't understand why people want these things to move to comdev -
> did you even ask the comdev PMC about this? It sounds like people want
> to send a bunch of tasks their way, without even asking.

It was brought up on dev@ just like it should, Bertrand. Stop assuming the
worst.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1. Agree with Greg.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...as I mentioned in a different thread, I feel really
>> passionate about championing the pTLP experiment....
>
> So that I can decide to agree or flame (*), do you have a definition
> of "the pTLP experiment" with a permanent URL (wiki page or similar) ?

There will be a wiki page emerging.

> I quite like Greg's definition in his "my pTLP view" thread but I have
> no idea if that's what you mean.

That's the starting point (or pretty close anyway). I don't want to put a formal
definition up yet. Partially because I don't think any further debates would
be useful, but most of all, because until we have real ASF board feedback
for the submitted resolution -- there's nothing to talk about, really. If anyone
wants to help with drafting an upcoming resolution -- let me know.

Stay tuned guys. I'll keep updating this group with links to wiki, etc.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...as I mentioned in a different thread, I feel really
> passionate about championing the pTLP experiment....

So that I can decide to agree or flame (*), do you have a definition
of "the pTLP experiment" with a permanent URL (wiki page or similar) ?

I quite like Greg's definition in his "my pTLP view" thread but I have
no idea if that's what you mean.

-Bertrand

(*) me, flaming? just kidding ;-)