Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dan Allen <da...@mojavelinux.com> on 2003/04/11 05:35:05 UTC

[OT] database design question

I have a question regarding database design that I was hoping
someone could shed some light on.  For my application, I have
standard members with an equivalent table, standard setup.  However,
in many different parts I gather information from guest users, such
as a guest document upload and a request for information form.  I
have created a guest table to store this information.  However, the
problem comes when I need to reference an owner of a document.  This
key could either be a member or a guest.  Obviously the foreign key
can only point to a single table.  Do I just prefix the owner_id in
the document table with guest_ if should reference the guest table
or is this problem better solved by a different design?

Dan

Daniel Allen, <da...@mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/

Re: [OT] database design question

Posted by Dan Allen <da...@mojavelinux.com>.
Dan Allen (dan@mojavelinux.com) wrote:

> I have a question regarding database design that I was hoping
> someone could shed some light on.  For my application, I have
> standard members with an equivalent table, standard setup.  However,
> in many different parts I gather information from guest users, such
> as a guest document upload and a request for information form.  I
> have created a guest table to store this information.  However, the
> problem comes when I need to reference an owner of a document.  This
> key could either be a member or a guest.  Obviously the foreign key
> can only point to a single table.  Do I just prefix the owner_id in
> the document table with guest_ if should reference the guest table
> or is this problem better solved by a different design?

I think I know the answer, just thought of it.  You simply have a
junction table which relates a guest user with a document, perhaps
regarding this particular relationship instance.  In my case it is a
"Request for proposal" upload.  I simply have a request for proposal
table which has a guest_id, document_id.  If I could have either a
member or guest upload, I could also have an owner_id and then
either the owner_id or guest_id would be empty.  That way, the join
will pick up which one matches, so it would look like

document_id guest_id  member_id
1           0         1
2           2         0
3           1         0

Posted by Alexandre Jaquet <al...@freesurf.ch>.
Hi Dan I will setup the db schema for tonigth.

--
Alexandre Jaquet
Lead Engineer

Session time out mid-multi-page form

Posted by Ron Day <ro...@ronday.cc>.
I'm using Struts 1.02 and I have a multipage form.
I have had several occasions where a user times out between submiting page 1
and page 2 of the form.Hence I get all nulls in the properties of form page
1, but no error and form page 2 just creates a new ActionForm and goes on.

Anyone have a neat solution for this.

Ron