Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Subrat Basnet <su...@myktm.com> on 2015/05/11 04:56:23 UTC

occasionally long running bolt timeout

Hello everyone,

I have a topology with 5 bolts, all bolts with a parallelism of 2.

The 5th bolt (depending on the tuple passed) will every now and then, export data files to AWS (which is a slow process) and this results in high process latency, and I think that leads to a heartbeat timeout.

I understand that increasing the heartbeat timeout might work, but what other *better* options do I have to avoid such a timeout/crash?

Will setting the parallelism of the 5th bolt to say, 7 (vs 2 on the others) work? So that there is always a process ready to export files?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Subrat Basnet

Re: occasionally long running bolt timeout

Posted by Jeff Maass <JM...@cccis.com>.
Try observing the garbage collection on the worker.  Many of my heartbeat timeout issues went away after I switched to the G1GC garbage collector.

From: Anishek Agarwal <an...@gmail.com>>
Date: 2015,Monday, May 11 at 04:53
To: "user@storm.apache.org<ma...@storm.apache.org>" <us...@storm.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: occasionally long running bolt timeout

as you mentioned if processing of a single tuple at 5th bolt itself is going to take long increasing the parallelism wont help, unless you can break the operation the 5th bolt does for a tuple  such that you export small files in each operation, then you can do one additional bolt between 4th and 5th and then increase the parallelism of 5th.

Posted by Anishek Agarwal <an...@gmail.com>.