Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nathan Ward <Na...@netscape.net> on 2001/03/11 17:48:04 UTC

HTML editors and struts

Hello,

If you use struts tab libraries, don't you loose the ability for a JSP to be editted by a non-programmer using an HTML editor? This seems like a major drawback to me that reduces productivity on a project. The only way to check the layout of the HTML is to run it on an app server, right?

   Nathan

RE: HTML editors and struts

Posted by James Cook <ji...@iname.com>.
Yes this is a huge drawback.

Fortunately, Dreamweaver and GoLive are leading the charge to incorporate
app servers into the design process.

FWIW, I am just getting my feet wet in the custom tag area, and I also miss
the prototyping step. If your tags do too much, entire sections of your code
are canabalized. This should be a signal that you have mixed your business
and presentation levels, and you should reconsider your design.

Another neat trick I use (often with the struts form tags) is to embed my
actual HTML code in the custom tag. I hate to design forms and not be able
to see the structure...it is very counter-productive. Try this instead:

Replace:
  <th align="right">
  </th>

With:

  <th align="right">
      Username:
  </th>
       <input name="username" type="text" size="16">

Your form will be appear as you expect in your HTML editing tool and it will
also satisfy the appserver requirements. (As long as the custom tags ignore
the embedded HTML, which the struts tags do.)

jim