Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Marinko, Jeff" <Je...@intuit.com> on 2002/08/15 18:48:34 UTC

Checking Tomcat's Memory

Greetings!

I'm running Tomcat 4.0.4 (w/ JDK 1.4, WinNT/2K) and would like to know how
to check Tomcat's memory settings.  I've defined an environment variable (in
Windows) like so:

CATALINA_OPTS=-server -Xms1g -Xmx3g

and from reading previous e-mails on this list, this should set the JVM min
and max heap size, yet how can I verify this?

I'm currently testing a program that takes a considerable amount of memory,
and after getting so many thousand requests (and storing a considerable
amount of data in memory), the performance becomes horrible (3 to 4 times
CPU usage, possibly due to gc looking for more memory?).  I suspect the
memory settings because when the CPU usage starts to spike, the memory usage
tops off and does not appear to go up at all (when it most likely should
continue to go up).

Suggestions appreciated!

RE: Checking Tomcat's Memory

Posted by "Sexton, George" <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
You might also want to try the

-Xincgc

Enable the incremental garbage collector. The incremental garbage collector,
which is off by default, will eliminate occasional garbage-collection pauses
during program execution. However, it can lead to a roughly 10% decrease in
overall GC performance.

switch. The complete docs for the non-standared switches are at:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/windows/java.html

RE: Checking Tomcat's Memory