Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com> on 2014/03/18 10:54:47 UTC

TAP5-2273: Where would TapestryIOCJUnit4ClassRunner live?

I'd like to create a JUnit4ClassRunner to simplify integration testing of
Tapestry IOC services. More details here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2273

I'm not sure which gradle module the test runner should live in?
tapestry-test is deprecated and tapestry-internal-test is not intended for
external use. Any suggestions?

Re: TAP5-2273: Where would TapestryIOCJUnit4ClassRunner live?

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Bob, I forgot to mention that I also feel that tapestry-test is a bit
heavy weight.

This junit runner is for testing tapestry-ioc apps. Tapestry-test has
transitive dependencies on tapestry-web, selenium, jetty etc. I'm not sure
people want all that on their classpath  when testing an IOC only app.

I'm beginning to think it belongs in it's own tapestry-ioc-test module.

Re: TAP5-2273: Where would TapestryIOCJUnit4ClassRunner live?

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
I would say it really belongs in Tapestry-test. It isn't necessary
that Tapestry-test be deprecated if there is an ongoing need for it.

FYI, I believe the discussion that lead to deprecation status was:

The tapestry-test module can't actually be removed until Tapestry
tests that depend on it are rewritten in Spock and Geb, which could
take years unless somebody wants to make it their full time job for a
while.

Maybe the module should be kept (not deprecated), but only some
classes deprecated?

The long-term future of tapestry-test is still open to discussion as
far as I'm concerned. There are not only Tapestry's own tests, but
Tapestry user's test that depend on tapestry-test, and nobody ever
wants to rewrite tests.