Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Nick de la Hunt <ni...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/24 10:51:02 UTC

Cordova roadmap - native UI

Hi there,

Apologies, I'm not sure if this is the correct address to send this query.

I'd like to know if you guys are planning on enabling a capability to
include native UI in Corova projects, such as the Microsoft Project Ace
plugin  for example. I feel that if you guys include such a plugin that
allows us to build with either a native UI, or a web view, or both (such as
Ace), you'd be leaps and bounds ahead of projects such as Nativescript and
React Native, given your already-wide list of native capabilities, as well
as the fact that you have users constantly building your ecosystem so much
wider! :)

I love building with Cordova and would be very sad to move away, but I have
the need these days to include some native UI (tabs and drawers and buttons
and controls etc...) in my apps, just to give the native feel, without
updating CSS all the time. I would love it if you guys would include
something like that, even if they are just plugins, but I would want them
built by you as the native UI plugins currently out there developed by
third parties are not really any good, and Project Ace has been
discontinued, sadly. I would hope for something similar to Ace, but not
using XAML which requires Visual Studio compilation before phonegap build
or Cordova CLI creation - makes building for both iOS and Windows and
Android very difficult from one machine.

I know I may be shooting in the dark here or pushing my luck, but please
would you mind looking into it? I know there are MANY other devs out there
wishing for the same thing - just look at the amounts of queries regarding
Native UI for Cordova on Stack Overflow, Ace's git repo etc...

Really hoping for favourable (yes, that's how we spell it in South Africa
:-D) response :)

Cheers!

Nick

Nick de la Hunt
082 388 1831
nick.delahunt@gmail.com

Re: Cordova roadmap - native UI

Posted by Nick de la Hunt <ni...@gmail.com>.
Ah ok cool, thanks so much for pointing this out and adding me to the list!
Thanks for your original reply too. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but
I see where you're coming from. :)

Cheers

Nick

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick de la Hunt <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Any response to the below?

Cheers

Nick

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,
Unfortunately including native UI is incongruent to our project philosophy
of creating "mobile apps with HTML, CSS & JS". We try to follow web
standards when possible and not resort to native ui unless we need to fix
some deficiencies that can't be avoided (statusbar for example).

Even if we wanted to (as plugins), we can't, because we don't have the
resources.