Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Michael Post <mi...@web.de> on 2008/06/26 10:21:51 UTC

[Configuration] Problem with combining two xml-files

Hello,

i use the current version (1.5) of commons configuration for my project
with commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar, commons-chain-1.2.jar,
commons-codec-1.3.jar, commons-collections-3.2.1.jar,
commons-digester-1.8.jar, commons-jxpath-1.2.jar, commons-lang-2.4.jar
und commons-logging-1.1.1.jar.

I want to read combine the two xml configuration files to one and later
i want to read some properties of it.

Like the tutorial on
http://commons.apache.org/configuration/userguide/howto_combinedconfiguration.html
i programmed my small plain Java application (ConfigTest.java) in which
i read both configurations like the tutorial. Some lines later i read
some properties of the configuration but all values are null.

I can not understand why / what is wrong.

Thanks for supporting me,

Michael

Re: [Configuration] Problem with combining two xml-files

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Michael Post schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> i use the current version (1.5) of commons configuration for my project
> with commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar, commons-chain-1.2.jar,
> commons-codec-1.3.jar, commons-collections-3.2.1.jar,
> commons-digester-1.8.jar, commons-jxpath-1.2.jar, commons-lang-2.4.jar
> und commons-logging-1.1.1.jar.
>
> I want to read combine the two xml configuration files to one and later
> i want to read some properties of it.
>
> Like the tutorial on
> http://commons.apache.org/configuration/userguide/howto_combinedconfiguration.html
> i programmed my small plain Java application (ConfigTest.java) in which
> i read both configurations like the tutorial. Some lines later i read
> some properties of the configuration but all values are null.
>
> I can not understand why / what is wrong.
>
> Thanks for supporting me,
>
> Michael

The code for creating the combined configuration seems to be alright. I
assume the problem lies in your usage of the getProperties() method,
which probably does not what you expect. Have a look at the Javadocs for
the Configuration interface.

I recommend that you try to read simple properties first using
getString() or one of the other simple get() methods. I am not sure what
you want to achieve with getProperties(). Maybe the configurationAt()
method goes in this direction?

For debugging combined configurations you can use the following trick:
Copy the content of the combined configuration into an XMLConfiguration:

CombinedConfiguration cc = ...
XMLConfiguration conf = new XMLConfiguration(cc);

Then the XMLConfiguration can be saved. The resulting XML file shows the
structure of the combined configuration.

HTH
Oliver