Posted to user@spark.apache.org by umanga <bi...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/21 06:16:41 UTC

scala.NotImplementedError: put() should not be called on an EmptyStateMap while doing stateful computation on spark streaming

I am getting following warning while running stateful computation. The state
consists of BloomFilter (stream-lib) as Value and Integer as key.

The program runs smoothly for few minutes and after that, i am getting this
warning, and streaming app becomes unstable (processing time increases
exponentially), and ultimately job fails.

WARN TaskSetManager: Lost task 0.0 in stage 144.0 (TID 326, mesos-slave-02):
scala.NotImplementedError: put() should not be called on an EmptyStateMap
	at org.apache.spark.streaming.util.EmptyStateMap.put(StateMap.scala:73)
	at
org.apache.spark.streaming.rdd.MapWithStateRDDRecord$$anonfun$updateRecordWithData$1.apply(MapWithStateRDD.scala:62)
	at
org.apache.spark.streaming.rdd.MapWithStateRDDRecord$$anonfun$updateRecordWithData$1.apply(MapWithStateRDD.scala:55)
	at scala.collection.Iterator$class.foreach(Iterator.scala:727)
	at
org.apache.spark.InterruptibleIterator.foreach(InterruptibleIterator.scala:28)
	at
org.apache.spark.streaming.rdd.MapWithStateRDDRecord$.updateRecordWithData(MapWithStateRDD.scala:55)
	at
org.apache.spark.streaming.rdd.MapWithStateRDD.compute(MapWithStateRDD.scala:155)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.computeOrReadCheckpoint(RDD.scala:306)
	at org.apache.spark.CacheManager.getOrCompute(CacheManager.scala:69)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.iterator(RDD.scala:268)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD.compute(MapPartitionsRDD.scala:38)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.computeOrReadCheckpoint(RDD.scala:306)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.iterator(RDD.scala:270)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD.compute(MapPartitionsRDD.scala:38)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.computeOrReadCheckpoint(RDD.scala:306)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.iterator(RDD.scala:270)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD.compute(MapPartitionsRDD.scala:38)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.computeOrReadCheckpoint(RDD.scala:306)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.iterator(RDD.scala:270)
	at org.apache.spark.scheduler.ResultTask.runTask(ResultTask.scala:66)
	at org.apache.spark.scheduler.Task.run(Task.scala:89)
	at org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner.run(Executor.scala:214)
	at
	at
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I am using kryo serialization. From somewhere in internet, I am getting hint
that this may be due to kryo serialization error for
OpenHashMapBasedStateMap. But, I have no idea how to fix this.

Re: scala.NotImplementedError: put() should not be called on an EmptyStateMap while doing stateful computation on spark streaming

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Are you using 1.6.1 ?

If not, does the problem persist when you use 1.6.1 ?

Thanks

Posted by umanga <bi...@gmail.com>.
further descriptions:

Environment: Spark cluster running in standalone mode with 1 master, 5
slaves, each has 4 vCPUS, 8GB RAM
data is being streamed from 3 node kafka cluster (managed by 3 node zk
cluster).

Checkpointing is being done at hadoop-cluster,
plus we are also saving state in HBase (on top of hadoop-cluster) and
recovering it while starting the streaming appplication

Please find the screen shot
<http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/file/n27201/Screen_Shot_2559-06-21_at_3.png>

--
View this message in context: http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/scala-NotImplementedError-put-should-not-be-called-on-an-EmptyStateMap-while-doing-stateful-computatg-tp27200p27201.html