Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Dmitry Goldenberg <dg...@hexastax.com> on 2016/03/29 19:27:37 UTC

Developing dataflows in the canvas editor

Hi,

These may be just 'noob' impressions from someone who hasn't learned enough
NiFi yet (I may be missing something obvious).

My first confusion is about dataflows vs. templates.  I've developed a
couple of templates.  Now I want to drop a template into the canvas and
treat that as a dataflow or an instance of a template.  But I don't see a
way to save this instance into any persistent store, or any way to manage
its lifecycle (edit, delete etc).  Is there something I'm missing or are
there features in progress related to this?

I mean, where does the dataflow go if I kill the browser? It seems to
persist... but what happens when I want to create a slightly different
rendition of the same flow?  Is there a namespaced persistence for
dataflows with CRUD operations supported?  I keep looking for a File ->
New, File -> Open, File -> Save type of metaphor.

My second item is the mouse roller. Yes, the mouse roller which at least on
the Mac causes the canvas to zoom in or zoom out.  Having used other
products, the typical metaphor seems to be that rolling gets you a vertical
scrollbar and you can scroll up and down, with a separate UI gesture that
lets you zoom in/out.  I can't seem to get used to this zooming behavior.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
- Dmitry

Re: Developing dataflows in the canvas editor

Posted by Dmitry Goldenberg <dg...@hexastax.com>.
Thanks, Chris and Joe!

The only other thing I'd add is that I kept looking for an Undo capability
with Ctrl-Z or some such but that doesn't seem to be supported.

- Dmitry

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.