Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/06/02 04:48:06 UTC

Re: CloudStack gathering around LinuxConNA?

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> $dayjob has reserved some space in San Diego immediately preceeding
> LinuxConNA [1] (Aug 29-31) during which they plan to hold XenSummit
> [2] (Aug 27-28) - and they have some excess room space they are not
> going to use. Before deciding to release the space back to the hotel
> they asked if CloudStack could make use of it. So - is anyone
> interested in a hackathon or bootcamp, or even a social event? It
> sounds interesting because of both Xen Summit and there is a
> co-located oVirt workshop, and the kernel summit, which draws lots of
> KVM folks - so should be plenty of virtualization folks present,
> though obviously they might not be engaged directly with us, but might
> be helpful from an ability to build relationships standpoint.

Just to follow up on this. I'll take the offer for the room on the
27th and 28th. I've been told the room will seat around 30 classroom
style. Any suggestions for what we should have as content? One day
hackathon, one day developer training? Two days of hackathon?
Something else?

--David

Re: CloudStack gathering around LinuxConNA?

Posted by Eric <ep...@yahoo.com>.
As a someone new to open source cloud platforms (Xen, KVM, etc) and new to CloudStack I'd like to see the space used to host an introduction to CloudStack with a hands-on lab (if I had three wishes to use).

Just my $0.02,

Eric P.
Truckee, CA

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Eric <ep...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

Feel free to edit the wiki (it's a wiki, edit boldly!) to reflect what
you'd like to see.

--David

Re: CloudStack gathering around LinuxConNA?

Posted by Eric <ep...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Eric <ep...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

> Sorry took a bit longer than it should have, here is the start:
>
> http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/COMM/Meetup+at+LinuxCon+NA
>

> Whomever requested the hands on demo, can you please indicate a preferred
> time and date and we'll get it added to the agenda table as well.
>

> Other topics?

Awesome - thanks for getting this up.

--David

Re: CloudStack gathering around LinuxConNA?

Posted by Robert Schweikert <rj...@suse.com>.
On 06/05/2012 11:32 AM, David Nalley wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Robert Schweikert<rj...@suse.com>  wrote:

>>> Just to follow up on this. I'll take the offer for the room on the
>>> 27th and 28th. I've been told the room will seat around 30 classroom
>>> style. Any suggestions for what we should have as content? One day
>>> hackathon, one day developer training? Two days of hackathon?
>>> Something else?
>>

>> I'd like to see us have a discussion about packaging for various distros,
>> discuss dependencies, build system, possibly a follow on to Alex's proposal
>> (http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/dev/New+Packaging+Proposal) and things
>> related to these topics. Maybe a 2 hour session for these topics.
>>
>> As more and more stuff is getting co-located with LinuxCon and the days
>> earlier in the week I am not certain there'll be a lot of people that can
>> devote a whole day to CloudStack, thus having somewhat of a time plan may be
>> advantageous as people can slip in and out.
>>

> Robert,
>
> Thanks for chiming in, would you mind starting a wiki page with a
> proposed schedule at wiki.cloudstack.org?

Sorry took a bit longer than it should have, here is the start:

http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/COMM/Meetup+at+LinuxCon+NA

Whomever requested the hands on demo, can you please indicate a
preferred time and date and we'll get it added to the agenda table as well.

Other topics?

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com
rschweik@ca.ibm.com
781-464-8147

Re: CloudStack gathering around LinuxConNA?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Robert Schweikert <rj...@suse.com>.
On 06/01/2012 10:48 PM, David Nalley wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM, David Nalley<da...@gnsa.us>  wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> $dayjob has reserved some space in San Diego immediately preceeding
>> LinuxConNA [1] (Aug 29-31) during which they plan to hold XenSummit
>> [2] (Aug 27-28) - and they have some excess room space they are not
>> going to use. Before deciding to release the space back to the hotel
>> they asked if CloudStack could make use of it. So - is anyone
>> interested in a hackathon or bootcamp, or even a social event? It
>> sounds interesting because of both Xen Summit and there is a
>> co-located oVirt workshop, and the kernel summit, which draws lots of
>> KVM folks - so should be plenty of virtualization folks present,
>> though obviously they might not be engaged directly with us, but might
>> be helpful from an ability to build relationships standpoint.
>>

> Just to follow up on this. I'll take the offer for the room on the
> 27th and 28th. I've been told the room will seat around 30 classroom
> style. Any suggestions for what we should have as content? One day
> hackathon, one day developer training? Two days of hackathon?
> Something else?

I'd like to see us have a discussion about packaging for various
distros, discuss dependencies, build system, possibly a follow on to
Alex's proposal
(http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/dev/New+Packaging+Proposal) and
things related to these topics. Maybe a 2 hour session for these topics.

As more and more stuff is getting co-located with LinuxCon and the days
earlier in the week I am not certain there'll be a lot of people that
can devote a whole day to CloudStack, thus having somewhat of a time
plan may be advantageous as people can slip in and out.

My $0.02
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com