Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Iain Fogg <ia...@westnet.com.au> on 2006/12/14 22:30:20 UTC

Gone live

I have finally gone live with my (slightly) customised OFBiz in my
retail bookshop business. Many thanks to all the people on the ofbiz-dev
and ofbiz-user list for the help/advice/patches/etc that have enabled me
to get going.

Generally everything has gone well, although I've had lots of customers
asking if they can buy gift certificates. Unfortunately, since OFBiz
can't them in a physical store environment I've had to disappoint them
(and my bank manager :-)

Cheers, Iain

Re: Gone live

Posted by Iain Fogg <ia...@westnet.com.au>.
David,

Not in the very short term. I have a bunch of other things I'd rather
work on to make sure my in-store operations are running smoothly first
(eg, better GST/VAT support, in-store gift certificate support, probably
more financials reports, adding some tweaks to things like requirements
approvals so you can reject requirements as well as accept/ignore them.

I definitely want my web presence in the next 3 months, but first things
first...

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Cheers, Iain

Re: Gone live

Posted by Iain Fogg <ia...@westnet.com.au>.
David,

Re: Gone live

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Gone live

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Iain,

Congratulations, I'm happy hearing that you were finally able to use OFBiz in real life :o)

I hope to do some work on POS soon. Gift certificates are one of the points I will work on. Hopefully this will be available before
mid january...

Jacques

Re: Gone live

Posted by Iain Fogg <ia...@westnet.com.au>.
Jacques, Si,

I'm happy to.

BTW, I had way too many customers come into my store in the 3 days I've
been opening asking if I can sell them a gift certificate, and some of
them hammered me so hard I finally gave in and agreed I'd sort something
out. I've committed to have something by 20 Dec, whether it's OFBiz or
scraps of paper :-)

Soooo.....

Assume for the moment that getting "real" gift certificates working in
the off-line scenario (ie, selling the GC over the counter, having the
person receiving the GC coming in later t redeem over the counter, etc)
might take a while.

Is it possible for me to "fake" the GC functionality? I've been keeping
an eye on the current discussion about using BillingAccts as a
PaymentMethod, and wonder if I can set that up to use OrderMgr to sell
and redeem the GCs. Of course, I'd have to cobble together some
deliverables, like a hardcopy "Gift Certificate" with the BillingAcct id
and value, but that would be easy enough, even if I do it outside OFBiz.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, Iain

Re: Gone live

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Si, Iain,

Re: Gone live

Posted by Iain Fogg <ia...@westnet.com.au>.
Si,

Yes I got the email, but I had a problem with my email client and the
message you sent with the opentaps licencing, etc got creamed. I sent an
email requesting a resend but I might have used the wrong address. Can
you resend the docs?

Cheers, Iain

Re: Gone live

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.