Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ola Berg <ol...@arkitema.se> on 2002/09/09 12:25:12 UTC

Re: [control flow] names and concepts [was: changes and new sample]

Brainstorm

1) What component is it that we speak of?

flow
controller
flow-controller
director
flow-director

This defines an application flow

<map:flow language=\"JavaScript\">
� <map:script src=\"blah.js\"/>
</map:flow>

A \"director\" in a play makes the actors act according to a script, it could work:

<map:director language=\"JavaScript\">
  <map:script src=\"blah.js\"/>
</map:director>

Now, what happens when it is time to act according to the script? Is the flow \"called\" or \"used\":

<map:call-flow ...

<map:use-flow ...

or is it a director that directs?

<map:direct ...

Suggestions:
use-flow
call-flow
direct

Personally, I like either \"flow\" and \"use-flow\" or \"director\" and \"direct\". On second thougt \"flow\" and \"use-flow\" is what I like best. (Part of the problem is that \"flow\" can be used both as a noun (the component) and as a verb (the action). \"use-flow\" makes up for this.).

my SEK 0.02, for all that it\'s worth...

/O

Re: [control flow] names and concepts [was: changes and new sample]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Conal Tuohy wrote:

> The flow layer is not continuous, but discrete, isn't that right? So the
> inaptness is with "flow".

Well, that's one way to look at it. But I have another one: the 'flow
layer' tries to make 'continous' (or 'as procedural as possible')
something that is intrinsically discrete (the web: based on a stateless
protocol and on a REST-like network architecture).

This is *exactly* the same evolutionary pattern that was implied when
the 'goto' statement was considered dangerous and an anti-pattern for
its usage was created: the goal was to make something that is
instrinsically discrete (CPU operations) appears as a continous flow of
operativity (which is much more similar at the way people see the
world).

> > A better alternative could be to use 'pipelines and valves', but this
> > collides with the use of 'valves' in Tomcat 4.x
>
> yes.
>
> "Director" is overloaded but perhaps a metaphor of "steering a course" would
> be be similar?
>
> <map:steer course="blah"/> or something

Yes, this is an alternative, but I'd like to stick to the concept of
'proceduralizing' something that was previously described as FSM (in the
best case) or with a sparse fragmented transitional matrix (in the
normal case).

This has nothing to do with 'steering a course', IMO.

> > I know that 'calling a flow' is not really meaningful, in fact,
> > 'hand-over to the resource flow' would be a better description of the
> > action, but I'm not really worried by these things. The sitemap shows
> > that once people like a concept, they don't mind sticking to
> > a new name
> > or even more, replace the most used meaning of that word for the new
> > meaning.
>
> But for new users the terminology is more important. There are a lot of
> features in Cocoon! If a feature of Cocoon has an inapt name its real
> function may be effectively hidden from new users. Terminology that is based
> on an apt metaphor can be more easily learned and will cause less confusion
> over semantics in the long term.

I can't agree more. But as you can see above, there are many different
ways to see the same technology from a metaphorical point of view. Once
we choose a terminology and the metaphor we associate with it, it's our
goal to remain coherent so that users aren't driven in different
directions.

But I feel we have been pretty good at metaphorical coherence so far:
everytime we invent or introduce something new, lots of reasoning is put
into naming, architectures and design. And I think this is something
that shows once users get the picture.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

RE: [control flow] names and concepts [was: changes and new sample]

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> The 'actor/director' metaphore has been extensively used in
> Avalon and I
> don't want them to collide here.

fair enough - but I think Ola is right that the director metaphor is more
apt...

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ola Berg wrote:

> Brainstorm
>
> 1) What component is it that we speak of?
>
> flow
> controller
> flow-controller
> director
> flow-director
>
> This defines an application flow
>
> <map:flow language=\"JavaScript\">
>   <map:script src=\"blah.js\"/>
> </map:flow>
>
> A \"director\" in a play makes the actors act according to a script, it could work:
>
> <map:director language=\"JavaScript\">
>   <map:script src=\"blah.js\"/>
> </map:director>
>
> Now, what happens when it is time to act according to the script? Is the flow \"called\" or \"used\":
>
> <map:call-flow ...
>
> <map:use-flow ...
>
> or is it a director that directs?
>
> <map:direct ...
>
> Suggestions:
> use-flow
> call-flow
> direct
>
> Personally, I like either \"flow\" and \"use-flow\" or \"director\" and \"direct\". On second thougt \"flow\" and \"use-flow\" is what I like best. (Part of the problem is that \"flow\" can be used both as a noun (the component) and as a verb (the action). \"use-flow\" makes up for this.).

The 'actor/director' metaphore has been extensively used in Avalon and I
don't want them to collide here.

Also, what I don't find fitting in the actor/director metaphor is the
unbroken seemless continuation perception that 'flowing' gives. When
something flows, it's normally continously flowing or there is a problem
(water, oil, eletric current, air)

A better alternative could be to use 'pipelines and valves', but this
collides with the use of 'valves' in Tomcat 4.x

I know that 'calling a flow' is not really meaningful, in fact,
'hand-over to the resource flow' would be a better description of the
action, but I'm not really worried by these things. The sitemap shows
that once people like a concept, they don't mind sticking to a new name
or even more, replace the most used meaning of that word for the new
meaning.

I forecast the same happening for the flow concept.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>