Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2004/06/04 15:20:22 UTC

RE: Removing sitemaps check-reload attribute

-1 :) Turning off this checking improves performance (no time
stamp checking anymore).

Carsten

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Sylvain Wallez dijo:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>>-1 :) Turning off this checking improves performance (no time stamp
>> checking anymore).
>
> Do you think there's a real difference if the sitemap is checked _at
> most_ once per second (the default delay), when so much other files are
> checked at _every_ request?

Instead of removing it. Let move it to other location and add the support
for the other places you posted above. Then we can have a global parameter
in cocoon.xconf that will allow switch to a "production" mode by disabling
all this checks at once.

WDYT?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

RE: Removing sitemaps check-reload attribute

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> >-1 :) Turning off this checking improves performance (no
> time stamp checking anymore).
> >

> Do you think there's a real difference if the sitemap is
> checked _at most_ once per second (the default delay), when
> so much other files are checked at _every_ request?

This depends on your setup, you can e.g. use expires caching
where the files are not checked at every request or you
can use custom components that have a smarter check etc.
So, yes, I think there is a major difference.

Carsten

Re: Removing sitemaps check-reload attribute

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Forgot to add:
>
>The default is "true" anyways, so you can just ignore this feature. But it might be useful for people that want to fine tune their setup. So in the end it doesn't hurt if you have the possibility.

Sure, and I won't insist much for this reason. I just find this feature
rather useless and inconsistent with Cocoon's general behaviour.

Sylvain

RE: Removing sitemaps check-reload attribute

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Forgot to add: