Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Tanguy Racinet <ta...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/12 12:07:47 UTC

consume kafka stream with flink

Hello,

I am currently trying to develop am algorithm mining frequent item sets over a data stream.
I am using kafka to generate the stream, however I cannot manage to link Flink to Kafka.

The code presented here is working but only using Flink version 0.9.1
https://github.com/dataArtisans/kafka-example/blob/master/src/main/java/com/dataartisans/ReadFromKafka.java
It doesn’t work for me when using FLink 10-SNAPSHOT or the latest release.

I tried several other things and was hoping someone could help me understand the differences between kafkaSource, FlinkKafkaConsummer, FlinkKafkaConsummer081 and FlinkKafkaConsummer082.

Which one is the latest API ? Is there another way to consume Kafka steam with Flink that is even more up to date ? Or should I use FlinkKafkaConsummer082 and stay with Flink version 9 ?

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Tanguy R.

Re: consume kafka stream with flink

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hi Tanguy,

I would recommend to refer to the documentation of the specific Flink
version you are using.

This is the documentation for 1.0-SNAPSHOT:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/streaming/connectors/kafka.html
and this is the doc for 0.10.x:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/apis/streaming_guide.html#apache-kafka

I would recommend to use Flink 0.10.x and the FlinkKafkaConsumer082. With
Flink 1.0 the consumer will be renamed to FlinkKafkaConsumer08.

Robert