Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mok CK <cm...@casema.net> on 2001/04/05 12:16:05 UTC

japanese text does not wrap

using fop0.18, i fopped some japanese text encoded in utf-8, using ms
gothic, in 2 columns. the results appear fine in pdf except all long
sentences do not wrap and run off the page. i realise that japanese
characters do not have spaces between them, so perhaps that is the reason
why fop does not know where to 'break' between lines. so i added some spaces
between some chars in my source document, and the result does wrap fine. is
this a bug?

Re: japanese text does not wrap

Posted by Tore Engvig <te...@infostream.no>.

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Mok CK wrote:

> using fop0.18, i fopped some japanese text encoded in utf-8, using ms
> gothic, in 2 columns. the results appear fine in pdf except all long
> sentences do not wrap and run off the page. i realise that japanese
> characters do not have spaces between them, so perhaps that is the reason
> why fop does not know where to 'break' between lines. so i added some spaces
> between some chars in my source document, and the result does wrap fine. is
> this a bug?

More like a "known problem" :)
It's not a bug, it's just not implemented :)

Tore