Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org> on 2016/08/05 14:07:51 UTC

myid documentation

I noticed that the documentation says that the myid value needs to be between 0 and 255. The code currently does not impose such a limitation and I also found this thread briefly discussing it:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-user/201507.mbox/%3CCABQ=58TqB3ntBY2oW0gDRvDb_XgZh8k99D11GeAf+CdfSJMOhA@mail.gmail.com%3E <https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-user/201507.mbox/%3CCABQ=58TqB3ntBY2oW0gDRvDb_XgZh8k99D11GeAf+CdfSJMOhA@mail.gmail.com%3E>

Is anyone aware of a jira for this? I couldn't find any....

-Flavio

Re: myid documentation

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for pointing that out. Make sense to me don't enforce anything for
no particular reason (wondering why the doc was mentioning such constraint
in first place).

Updated jira descriptions as well. Let's discuss on JIRA on what the best
fix might be for this issue.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Arshad Mohammad <arshad.mohammad.k@gmail.com

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: myid documentation

Posted by Arshad Mohammad <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: myid documentation

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Michael.

Re: myid documentation

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: myid documentation

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
I believe that the myid is used as part of the server id, in order to get a
unique value for quorum formation. iirc it's the top 8 bits of the server
id. Hence the reason why we mention that in the docs. afaik we never
"enforced" this at the code level. On the plus side it would be a good
idea, on the minus side it might break existing configurations....

Patrick