Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Derek <dh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/03/04 16:43:05 UTC

File/Directory Manipulation Tag Libraries

Ananth,

You can check out all of the standard Jakarta/Tomcat
libraries here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/index.html

Upon an initial scan and having worked with several of
those libraries, it does not appear as though any of
them handle directory or file manipulation.  There are
several servlets available (do a Google search for
"file servlet" and you should find a few).

There may also be a few third-party file/directory
manipulation tag libraries -- doing a search on google
for "file jsp tag libraries" might give you a few
hits.

Also, depending on your goals, you can turn on
directory browsing for a particular area of your site,
giving the user a standard Tomcat directory browser.
I believe you that you can turn that on in the
<context> area somewhere.  I also think that it's
turned on by default if you do not have a file
corresponding to the <welcome> tag defined.

[FYI Ananth, please update the subject line to be
representative of your question so we don't get it
mixed in with other threads.  I forget every
once-in-a-while as well.  Thanks!]

Thanks!
Derek

Re: File/Directory Manipulation Tag Libraries

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
One strategy we've discussed in the past is to use the JNDI taglibrary
plus the default java:env/Resources jndi context in the webapplication
as a mechanism to list the contents of the directories (this allows
listing of both webapplications that are expanded into the filesystem
and webapplications that are mounted as WAR files). This however, is an
"read only" solution.

-Mark

Derek wrote:

> Ananth,
>
> You can check out all of the standard Jakarta/Tomcat
> libraries here:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/index.html
>
> Upon an initial scan and having worked with several of
> those libraries, it does not appear as though any of
> them handle directory or file manipulation.  There are
> several servlets available (do a Google search for
> "file servlet" and you should find a few).
>
> There may also be a few third-party file/directory
> manipulation tag libraries -- doing a search on google
> for "file jsp tag libraries" might give you a few
> hits.
>
> Also, depending on your goals, you can turn on
> directory browsing for a particular area of your site,
> giving the user a standard Tomcat directory browser.
> I believe you that you can turn that on in the
> <context> area somewhere.  I also think that it's
> turned on by default if you do not have a file
> corresponding to the <welcome> tag defined.
>
> [FYI Ananth, please update the subject line to be
> representative of your question so we don't get it
> mixed in with other threads.  I forget every
> once-in-a-while as well.  Thanks!]
>
> Thanks!
> Derek
>

> --- Ananth R <an...@csa.iisc.ernet.in> wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>
>>Any body knows how to display the directory
>>structure using a JSP page
>>using taglibraries.
>>
>>ie are there any taglibraries for visualizing a
>>directory structures.
>>
>>Any frame work available in Jakarta project to do
>>this???
>>
>>please inform me.
>>
>>--
>>
>>A N A N T H. R