Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brian McArdle <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/30 13:04:13 UTC

Announce List?

I was just wondering how much effort it would require to set up an announce
list for Tomcat. I don't want the volume of user or dev, just notifications
of updates or patches, new releases and such. An announce list is pretty
standard for most open source projects, surely Tomcat is professional enough
to have one?

Re: Announce List?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Brian McArdle wrote:
<snip/>
> whether there was an obstacle
> to creating an announce-list that I do not know of, otherwise I think it
> would be a great addition to the operation of Tomcat, and a boon to those
> who use it.

No technical obstacle. As Brian pointed out, there is an Apache wide
one and we use that. A Tomcat specific one would be so low traffic
(around a message a month) there isn't really any justification for one.

Mark

Re: Announce List?

Posted by Brian McArdle <br...@gmail.com>.
On 30/08/2007, Mark Thomas wrote:

> Casting aspersions at the professionalism of the Tomcat project, and
> by implication the Tomcat community (ie everyone on this list), isn't
> the way to win friends and influence people. Neither is going to get
> your question answered, at least not be me.
>
> You might like to consider reposting your question in a friendlier tone.
>
> Mark

I wasn't "casting aspersions", more so commenting on how professional the
entire project is. My apologies if that wasn't clear. I'm new to the list
and to the project, and was simply wondering whether there was an obstacle

On 30/08/2007, Brian Munroe wrote:

> There is also Apache Announce?  Granted it isn't Tomcat specific, but
> it is lower traffic then dev or users.

> -- brian

Thanks for that brian, it certainly answers my question as to why there
isn't a Tomcat announce. I think I may already be signed up. Cheers for the
reply. :)

Re: Announce List?

Posted by Brian Munroe <br...@gmail.com>.
On 8/30/07, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote: