Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/26 21:11:26 UTC

Streams meetup at LinkedIn Sunnyvale, 6pm, Thursday, October 3, 2019

*[bcc: (users,dev)@kafka.apache.org <http://kafka.apache.org>]*

Hi everyone,

The Streams Infra team invites you to attend a Streams Processing meetup on
Thursday, October 3, 2019 at LinkedIn's Sunnyvale campus. (This meetup focuses
on Apache Kafka, Apache Samza, and related streaming technologies.)

As always, there will food, drinks, and time for socializing before and
after the talks.

We would be happy to have you join us, but it will be live streamed and
recorded for those who are unable to attend.

*RSVP:*
Please RSVP *only* if you plan to attend in person.
A streaming link will be posted approximately one hour prior to the event.
https://www.meetup.com/Stream-Processing-Meetup-LinkedIn/events/264589317/

*When:*
6:00 - 9:00 PM, Thursday, October 3, 2019

*Where:*
Unify Conference room, LinkedIn Sunnyvale campus
950 W Maude Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94085

*Summary:*
We have three talks lined up. Our first speaker is from the Azure Streaming
team. The talk will cover Azure Stream Analytics, its architecture,
capabilities and use cases.  The second talk is about Samza’s recently
built capability to do Stream processing using Python. Samza-Python opens
up multiple possibilities including the ability to use Python libraries for
ML applications. Finally, the Kafka team will talk about the development
workflow that allows them to handle LinkedIn’s scale by building a LinkedIn
version of Kafka while also contributing back to the open source community.
Additional details are below.

*Agenda:*
       5:30 PM - Doors open

5:30 - 6:00 PM - Networking

6:00 - 6:30 PM - *Azure Stream Analytics; Sasha Alperovich & Sid Ramadoss,
Microsoft*

Azure Stream Analytics (ASA) is a fully managed near real-time data
processing service on Azure. In this talk we will highlight the unique
value propositions that ASA brings to the table, and show a demo of how
Azure customers can utilize the power of ASA to gain insights in near
real-time with the NYC taxi scenario. We will then dive deeper into how the
service is built, covering resiliency, dataflow and other technical aspects
of the ASA runtime. We will also discuss how ASA’s unique design choices
compare and contrast with other streaming technologies, namely Spark
Structured Streaming and Flink

6:30 - 7:00 PM - *Stream Processing in Python using Apache Samza; Hai Lu,
LinkedIn*

Apache Samza is the streaming engine being used at LinkedIn that processes
~ 2 trillion messages daily. A while back we announced Samza's integration
with Apache Beam, a great success which leads to our Samza Beam API. Now an
UPGRADE of our APIs - we're now supporting Stream Processing in Python!
This work has made stream processing more accessible and enabled many
interesting use cases, particularly in the area of machine learning. The
Python API is based on our work of Samza runner for Apache Beam. In this
talk, we will quickly review our work on Samza runner, and then how we
extended it to support portability in Beam (Python specifically). In
addition to technical and architectural details, we will also talk about
how we bridged Python and Java ecosystems at LinkedIn with the Python API,
together with different use cases.

7:00 - 7:30 PM - *Apache Kafka and LinkedIn: How LinkedIn customizes Kafka
to work at the trillion scale; Jon Lee & Wesley Wu, LinkedIn*

At LinkedIn, we operate thousands of brokers to handle trillions of
messages per day. Running at such a large scale constantly raises various
scalability and operability challenges for the Kafka ecosystem. While we
try to maintain our internal releases as close as possible to upstream, we
maintain a version of Kafka which includes patches for addressing our
production and feature requirements. In this presentation we will share the
Kafka release that LinkedIn runs in production, the workflow process we
follow to develop new patches, the way we upstream the changes we make,
some of the patches we maintain in our branch and how we generate releases.

7:30 - 8:30 PM - Additional networking and Q&A

Hope to see you there!