Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/12 04:54:36 UTC

Why do people want to deploy to Tomcat?

Hello,

I keep seeing here and on Stack Overflow people trying to deploy Solr to
Tomcat. We don't usually ask why, just help when where we can.

But the question happens often enough that I am curious. What is the actual
business case. Is that because Tomcat is well known? Is it because other
apps are running under Tomcat and it is ops' requirement? Is it because
Tomcat gives something - to Solr - that Jetty does not?

It might be useful to know. Especially, since Solr team is considering
making the server part into a black box component. What use cases will that
break?

So, if somebody runs Solr under Tomcat (or needed to and gave up), let's
use this thread to collect this knowledge.

Regards,
   Alex.
- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)

Re: Why do people want to deploy to Tomcat?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
I personally felt Tomcat to be in a more appropriate community, that of the Apache Foundation, than Jetty.
Also, jetty always has been striving for simplicity and that's really not always what you intend to when you plan an app-server.
E.g. features such as the manager or mod_ajp appeared important to me at the time.

Now… it's more of a habit. But the first argument remains to my feelings.

Paul

Posted by "Hoggarth, Gil" <Gi...@bl.uk>.
For me, a side-affect of 'example' is that it's just that, not appropriate for production. But also, there's the organisation factor beyond Solr that is about staff expertise - we don't have any systems that utilise jetty so we're unfamiliar with its configuration, issues, or oddities. Tomcat is our defacto container so it makes sense for us to implement Solr within Tomcat.

If we ruled out these reasons, I'd still be looking for a container that:
- was a standalone installation (i.e., outside of Solr tarball) so that it would be "managed" via yum (we run on RHEL). This separates any issues of Solr from issues of jetty, which given a current lack of jetty knowledge would be a helpful thing.
- the container service could be managed via standard SysV startup processes. To be fair, I've implemented our own for Tomcat and could do this for jetty, but I'd prefer jetty included this (which would suggest it is more prepared for enterprise use).
- Likewise, I assume all of jetty's configuration can be reset to use normal RHEL /etc/ and /var/ directories, but I'd prefer that jetty did this for me (to demonstrate again it's enterprise-ready status).

Yes, I could do all the necessary bespoke configuration so that jetty follows the above reasons, but because I'd have to I question if it's ready for our enterprise setup (which mainly means that our Operations team will fight against unusual configurations).

Having added all of this, I have to admit that I like the idea of using jetty because you guys tell me that Solr is affectively pre-configured for jetty. But then I'd want to know what in particular these jetty configurations were!

BTW Very pleased that this is being discussed - the views can help me argue our case to use jetty if it is indeed more beneficial to do so.

Gil

Posted by Dejan Caric <de...@gmail.com>.
We're a .NET shop. We use Windows Server for both .NET code and Solr
hosting.
With Tomcat we can get everything up and running with a few mouse clicks
(it's as simple as next, next, next...) while setting up Jetty as a windows
service can be quite tricky for non-Java developers.
That's the only reason why we choose Tomcat instead of Jetty.

Posted by Sebastián Ramírez <se...@senseta.com>.

Posted by Amit Aggarwal <am...@gmail.com>.
Agreed with Doug

Posted by Doug Turnbull <dt...@opensourceconnections.com>.

Posted by Roland Everaert <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alvaro Cabrerizo <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andre Bois-Crettez <an...@kelkoo.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
which example? there are so many.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
RE: the example folder

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Dmitry Kan <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Reading that people have considered deploying "example" folder is slightly
strange to me. No wonder they are confused and confuse their ops. We just
took vanilla jetty (jetty9) and installed solr.war on it, configured it, no
example folders at all. Since then it works nicely.

The main reason for us to get away from tomcat, that we have used
originally, was that it felt too heavy for running a Solr webapp, which
isn't using anything Tomcat-specific. In older versions (tomcat6) it would
leak memory and threads. We knew, that jetty is mature enough and is
lighter and used at large companies, like Google. This was convincing
enough to try.

We are still using Tomcat for other webapps, specifically for clustering
and load balancing between webapp instances, but that is not needed for our
Solr installation at this point.

Regards,

Dmitry
Blog: http://dmitrykan.blogspot.com
Twitter: twitter.com/dmitrykan

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gopal Patwa <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sujit Pal <su...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Lukasz Salwinski <lu...@mbi.ucla.edu>.
On 11/12/2013 09:28 AM, Lukasz Salwinski wrote:
> On 12.11.13 04:54, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I keep seeing here and on Stack Overflow people trying to deploy
>> Solr to Tomcat. We don't usually ask why, just help when where we can.
>>
>> But the question happens often enough that I am curious. What is the
>> actual business case. Is that because Tomcat is well known? Is it
>> because other apps are running under Tomcat and it is ops'
>> requirement? Is it because Tomcat gives something - to Solr - that
>> Jetty does not?
>>
>> It might be useful to know. Especially, since Solr team is considering
>> making the server part into a black box component. What use cases will
>> that break?
>>
>> So, if somebody runs Solr under Tomcat (or needed to and gave up), let's
>> use this thread to collect this knowledge.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alex.
>
> What if Solr is a part of a bigger application to be deployed by
> a party that knows how to deploy tomcat (or any other generic
        oops... ^^^^^   it should read 'only knows'
> servlet container) and drop .war file in the right place ? Making Solr
> available only as a stand-alone component that requires separate
> deployment makes it much harder for the end user, no matter how
> black-boxy Solr is made.
>
> lukasz

lukasz

  Lukasz Salwinski                             PHONE:        310-825-1402
  UCLA-DOE Institute for Genomics & Proteomics   FAX:        310-206-3914
  UCLA, Los Angeles                            EMAIL: lukasz@mbi.ucla.edu

Re: Why do people want to deploy to Tomcat?

Posted by Lukasz Salwinski <lu...@mbi.ucla.edu>.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
Hi ALex,