Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/14 21:24:57 UTC

Use "1.7.7" for next release (was: Re: 1.7.5 in one/two weeks?)

2012/4/12 Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>:
> We released 1.6.18 today and 1.7.4 just over a month ago.  There are
> a few useful items merged already, and STATUS has a truckload of pending
> changes.
>
> Shall we roll 1.7.5 in two weeks from today?  If we can clear STATUS and
> roll next Thursday that's fine too, but I don't think we're in a hurry.

Hi!

I have a proposal:
Skip several numbers and name the next release as "1.7.7".

Justification: to align with TortoiseSVN, which is 1.7.6 now.

There is a lot of "Subversion exception!" threads on users@
where TortoiseSVN version is visible. For example [1].

I think skipping those "already used" numbers will lessen confusion.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/p6d6ih2p2rzegpi7

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release (was: Re: 1.7.5 in one/two weeks?)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 15, 2012 6:54 AM, "Alagazam.net Subversion" <sv...@alagazam.net> wrote:

> On 2012-04-15 04:15, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>>
>> Konstantin Kolinko wrote on Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 23:24:57 +0400:

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have a proposal:
>>> Skip several numbers and name the next release as "1.7.7".
>>>
>>> Justification: to align with TortoiseSVN, which is 1.7.6 now.
>>
>> To summarize, the next release will be called 1.7.5 and Stefan Küng will
>> change tsvn's versioning scheme to
>> "%d.%d.%d-%d" % (SVN_VER_MAJOR, SVN_VER_MINOR, SVN_VER_PATCH,
tsvn_counter++).

>> Thanks for raising this (and thanks Stefan for the fix his end).
>>
>> Daniel
>

> My suggestion is that SVN skips 1.7.5 and 1.7.6 and call next release
1.7.7
> There's no unusual about skipping versions due to issues found in the
release process (1.610 and 1.6.14 was never released) so lets call this an
"issue" and "pull" the 1.7.5 and 1.7.6 releases.

> If tsvn is willing to adjust their versioning scheme so why not help them
a bit to get aligned.

The dev community has already stated that svn won't skip versions to align
with downstream packages. What about all the others? Why support just tsvn?
How many do we need to compensate for?

Tsvn can certainly use whatever numbering it wants. The underlying issue is
that it is so *close* to Subversion's that it creates confusion on the
users mailing list.

-g

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release (was: Re: 1.7.5 in one/two weeks?)

Posted by "Alagazam.net Subversion" <sv...@alagazam.net>.
On 2012-04-15 04:15, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Konstantin Kolinko wrote on Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 23:24:57 +0400:
>> 2012/4/12 Daniel Shahaf<da...@apache.org>:
>>> We released 1.6.18 today and 1.7.4 just over a month ago.  There are
>>> a few useful items merged already, and STATUS has a truckload of pending
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> Shall we roll 1.7.5 in two weeks from today?  If we can clear STATUS and
>>> roll next Thursday that's fine too, but I don't think we're in a hurry.
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a proposal:
>> Skip several numbers and name the next release as "1.7.7".
>>
>> Justification: to align with TortoiseSVN, which is 1.7.6 now.
> To summarize, the next release will be called 1.7.5 and Stefan Küng will
> change tsvn's versioning scheme to
> "%d.%d.%d-%d" % (SVN_VER_MAJOR, SVN_VER_MINOR, SVN_VER_PATCH, tsvn_counter++).
>
> Thanks for raising this (and thanks Stefan for the fix his end).
>
> Daniel

My suggestion is that SVN skips 1.7.5 and 1.7.6 and call next release 1.7.7
There's no unusual about skipping versions due to issues found in the
release process (1.610 and 1.6.14 was never released) so lets call this
an "issue" and "pull" the 1.7.5 and 1.7.6 releases.

If tsvn is willing to adjust their versioning scheme so why not help
them a bit to get aligned.

This is my 2c

David a.k.a. Alagazam

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On 04/15/2012 07:05 AM, Ashod Nakashian wrote:
> [...]

Taking care of the second concern also resolves the first concern.

I've always found it a little more work than I would think is necessary
to see quickly see which version of Subversion TortoiseSVN is built on.
  Not talking about a lot, but it's a minor annoyance.

Blair

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Ashod Nakashian <as...@yahoo.com>.
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012, at 02:36, Ashod Nakashian wrote:
>> And surely at 1.8.0 you'll sync back, so not only this will auto-
>> correct, but as the third number is the "patch" number, I
> personally
>> care little whether or not the patch is a TSVN one or mainline SVN - I
>> care about the major.minor, and that's perfectly matching.
>
> It's not auto-correcting, what if TSVN 1.8.0 links against SVN 1.8.0 and
> then TSVN needs to make another release?

I meant the two project versions won't diverge indefinitely. Sure each patch can result in a mismatch (assuming TSVN continues to use the 3rd number for patches) but as long as both projects use the same major.minor numbers, they realign again at every significant release. Which is my point; patch numbers aren't all that relevant. What a user typically cares about are the major.minor version of SVN (which dictates features and compatibility etc.) and that they have the latest patch for *that* major.minor.

In other words, if I'm using TSVN and I care to use version 1.7 of SVN features, I'll make sure I have the latest patch for 1.7 of TSVN. If that's 1.7.9, then that's the best that TSVN provides, regardless what the patch number of SVN stands at. If I care to know the exact SVN patch TSVN is linked against, I have ample places to look for this information. (and if I know of an SVN patch that TSVN doesn't yet provide, then I'll either wait or switch to a different 3rd party SVN product.)

If a different versioning scheme should prove less confusing to TSVN users (I was never confused by this issue and I'm a rather old user of both projects), then that can be adopted, but it's very reasonable that TSVN has its own patches (whether to fix their bugs or even SVN bugs/workarounds) and that can't match the patch number of SVN.

So if 100% alignment isn't possible, making SVN realign with TSVN more often won't help much. It's best to keep SVN independent of downstream projects (as many voiced) and that TSVN clearly advertises the patch number as their own without implied matching with SVN patches. That way the user's won't have an expectation that is wrong half the time (as is the case now).

-Ash

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Ashod Nakashian <as...@yahoo.com>.
> On 15.04.2012 04:15, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>>  Konstantin Kolinko wrote on Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 23:24:57 +0400:
> are
> pending

> STATUS and
> we're in a hurry.
>>>
>>>  Hi!
>>>
>>>  I have a proposal:
>>>  Skip several numbers and name the next release as "1.7.7".
>>>
>>>  Justification: to align with TortoiseSVN, which is 1.7.6 now.
>>
>>  To summarize, the next release will be called 1.7.5 and Stefan Küng will
>>  change tsvn's versioning scheme to
>>  "%d.%d.%d-%d" % (SVN_VER_MAJOR, SVN_VER_MINOR, SVN_VER_PATCH,
> tsvn_counter++).
>>
>>  Thanks for raising this (and thanks Stefan for the fix his end).
>
> Ahem: as I said I can not go back a version. I can't name the next TSVN
> release 1.7.5-2 since we're already have version 1.7.6 out.

If TSVN 1.7.6 was understandably linked with SVN 1.7.4, why TSVN 1.7.7 linked with SVN 1.7.5 problematic? From where I'm standing, it's perfectly reasonable. In fact, I wouldn't expect it differently and will probably find a new versioning scheme a tad confusing (at least at first).

And surely at 1.8.0 you'll sync back, so not only this will auto-correct, but as the third number is the "patch" number, I personally care little whether or not the patch is a TSVN one or mainline SVN - I care about the major.minor, and that's perfectly matching.

Just my 2c.
-Ash

AW: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Markus Schaber <m....@3s-software.com>.
Hi, Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

AW: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Markus Schaber <m....@3s-software.com>.
Hi

Von: Daniel Shahaf [mailto:d.s@daniel.shahaf.name]
> > [Version confusion between core SVN and TortoiseSVN]

> > After sleeping on this, I'm also quite concerned about not
> > incrementing the TSVN version since this would confuse our users a
> > lot, not to mention the problems we would get on our mailing list.
> >
> > I'll start a discussion on the TSVN dev list about this first, before
> > I can make a decision.
>
> FWIW: I'd be happy with any scheme that doesn't confuse people between
> TSVN's version number and SVN's version number.  The specific numbering
> scheme (1.7.7.x or 2.7.x or "1.7.x/1.7.y" or something else altogether) is
> less important to me.

SharpSVN currently is on version 1.7004.2064, where the second number of the tuple is a combination of the second and third tuple of the upstream SVN number, and the third number is the sharpsvn revision / build number.

TortoiseSVN could maybe adopt a similar scheme. It can be adopted in the next build without decreasing any version number, and it also makes it obvious that an user with "SVN Version 1.7004.42" is not referring to plain svn, but some derivate.

Of course, this scheme will run into problems when SVN someday releases 1.7.1000, 1.65.535 or 1.66.0. :-)

Best regards

Markus Schaber
--
___________________________

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012, at 11:28, Stefan Küng wrote:
> On 15.04.2012 04:15, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > Konstantin Kolinko wrote on Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 23:24:57 +0400:

> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I have a proposal:
> >> Skip several numbers and name the next release as "1.7.7".
> >>
> >> Justification: to align with TortoiseSVN, which is 1.7.6 now.
> >
> > To summarize, the next release will be called 1.7.5 and Stefan Küng will
> > change tsvn's versioning scheme to
> > "%d.%d.%d-%d" % (SVN_VER_MAJOR, SVN_VER_MINOR, SVN_VER_PATCH, tsvn_counter++).
> >
> > Thanks for raising this (and thanks Stefan for the fix his end).
>
> Ahem: as I said I can not go back a version. I can't name the next TSVN
> release 1.7.5-2 since we're already have version 1.7.6 out.

I am not concerned about what how you call the tsvn releases that
correspond to svn 1.7.5 and 1.7.6, if the ambiguity problem is solved in 1.7.7+.

Apologies if I was putting words in your mouth, I was trying to
summarize my reading of the consensus elsethread.

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@wandisco.com>.
On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
> On 4/14/12 12:24 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>
>> 2012/4/12 Daniel Shahaf<da...@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> We released 1.6.18 today and 1.7.4 just over a month ago.  There are
>>> a few useful items merged already, and STATUS has a truckload of pending
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> Shall we roll 1.7.5 in two weeks from today?  If we can clear STATUS and
>>> roll next Thursday that's fine too, but I don't think we're in a hurry.
>>

>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a proposal:
>> Skip several numbers and name the next release as "1.7.7".
>>
>> Justification: to align with TortoiseSVN, which is 1.7.6 now.
>>
>> There is a lot of "Subversion exception!" threads on users@
>> where TortoiseSVN version is visible. For example [1].
>>
>> I think skipping those "already used" numbers will lessen confusion.
>

> Since Subversion is the base project, I would rather see TortoiseSVN change
> it's versioning to match ours than the other way.  TortoiseSVN could add an
> additional version number after Subversion's, e.g. 1.7.4-tsvn1 for the first
> TortoiseSVN release based on 1.7.4, 1.7.4-tsvn2 for the second, etc.

Agreed.  Adapting Subversion version numbers to accomodate arbitrary
downstream projects is a slippery slope toward madness.

It feels like there is a reporting issue, more than a version number issue.

-Hyrum

--

uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
http://www.uberSVN.com/

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14.04.2012 23:46, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>>  > So I'll keep the first three version numbers the same in the future
>> for interim releases (in case I have to create one).
>>  > But I guess if you want to improve the current situation, there's not
>> much I can do.
>>  >
>>
>> Hyrum is suggesting we release 1.7.5, and you release 1.7.6.1. Then we
>> release 1.7.6, and tsvn goes to 1.7.6.2. Then we both bump to 1.7.7.
>

> Ok, but the TSVN version will have to be named 1.7.6-2, not 1.7.6.2 because
> the fourth number is the build revision. It's important that the fourth
> number keeps increasing with every version, otherwise the msi won't install
> correctly (we actually swap the third and fourth number for the msi because
> of that, otherwise nightly builds wouldn't install properly).

FWIW, I would say just do whatever you want.  People will figure it
out.  I do not see that this is a problem.  Your downloads and about
dialog are very clear about the Subversion version.

With Subclipse we use odd/even version numbering so our current
version is 1.8.7.  We have never tried to align with the Subversion
release number.  That would be pointless as it would imply we can only
do releases when there are Subversion releases.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 14, 2012 4:46 PM, "Stefan Küng" <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14.04.2012 22:40, Hyrum K Wright wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Stefan Küng<to...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

>>> Ok, I see the problem.
>>>
>>> But what should I do? I can't name the next TSVN release 1.7.5 since the
>>> current TSVN version is already 1.7.6 - going back one version would
confuse
>>> users even more, and would also completely break the update check
function
>>> TSVN has.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>

>> I think the previously-mentioned suggestion to use a fourth value in
>> the version tuple is an excellent one.  Just keep incrementing it
>> until you get back to parity with upstream releases.
>

> We already use the fourth value: that's the svn revision number of the
working copy at the time of the release build.

> While I can in the future just use those for 'interim' releases (i.e.,
releases that are out-of-sync with svn releases), that won't help with the
current situation. I can't go back a version.

> So I'll keep the first three version numbers the same in the future for
interim releases (in case I have to create one).
> But I guess if you want to improve the current situation, there's not
much I can do.

Hyrum is suggesting we release 1.7.5, and you release 1.7.6.1. Then we
release 1.7.6, and tsvn goes to 1.7.6.2. Then we both bump to 1.7.7.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@wandisco.com>.

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 15:31, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
> On 4/14/12 12:24 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>
>> 2012/4/12 Daniel Shahaf<da...@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> We released 1.6.18 today and 1.7.4 just over a month ago.  There are
>>> a few useful items merged already, and STATUS has a truckload of pending
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> Shall we roll 1.7.5 in two weeks from today?  If we can clear STATUS and
>>> roll next Thursday that's fine too, but I don't think we're in a hurry.
>>

>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a proposal:
>> Skip several numbers and name the next release as "1.7.7".
>>
>> Justification: to align with TortoiseSVN, which is 1.7.6 now.
>>
>> There is a lot of "Subversion exception!" threads on users@
>> where TortoiseSVN version is visible. For example [1].
>>
>> I think skipping those "already used" numbers will lessen confusion.
>

> Since Subversion is the base project, I would rather see TortoiseSVN change
> it's versioning to match ours than the other way.  TortoiseSVN could add an
> additional version number after Subversion's, e.g. 1.7.4-tsvn1 for the first
> TortoiseSVN release based on 1.7.4, 1.7.4-tsvn2 for the second, etc.

Or 1.7.4.0, 1.7.4.1, 1.7.4.2 ... etc

Most Windows binaries have four components anyway, right?

Cheers,
-g

Re: Use "1.7.7" for next release (was: Re: 1.7.5 in one/two weeks?)

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.