Posted to general@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2007/08/17 11:38:16 UTC

[VOTE] Request a "JAMES" Confluence Space to INFRA

Hi all,

this is a followup to the "Use a Blog for news" vote started by Danny.
That vote is anyway going to be succesfull as it collected only +1 and
+0, no -1.

So this vote will not invalidate that one, but simply try to add another
option that might satisfy more people: some of the +0s comments was
concerns about using a non-ASF resource for an official thing that will
be published in our home.

ASF provides a tool, Confluence, that can be used both as a blog (with
RSS) and as a wiki. http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/

I propose to ask a space for JAMES. The vote is limited to the request
of the space as I think that if we never ask we'll never know if INFRA
is able or not to provide us such a tool.

Whether we'll use it only as a news blog (as a replacement for the
proposed ( http://apache-james.blogspot.com/ ) or we'll generate part of
our website using the cwiki export (like mina, directory, felix,
cayenne, openjpa and other ASF projects do) or we'll move there our
moin-moin wiki is something we'll discuss if this vote will succeed.

[ ] +1 Let's request a CWIKI Space
[ ]  0 I don't care
[ ] -1 We don't need yet another tool

Stefano

Re: [VOTE] Request a "JAMES" Confluence Space to INFRA

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Stefano Bagnara ha scritto:
>> I propose to ask a space for JAMES. The vote is limited to the request
>> of the space as I think that if we never ask we'll never know if INFRA
>> is able or not to provide us such a tool.
>
> As I didn't declare the vote duration, I'll do it right now.
>
> A big thread has been written since I started the vote, so I think that
> adding 3 more days will help. This vote will be closed on Thursday
> 23/08/2007 at 12:00 GMT+2.
>
> Currently we have
> +1 Stefano, Danny, Bernd, Norman
> +0 <none>
> -1 <none>

+1.  Sorry, missed the actual vote thread in all the discussions this
weekend.  Thanks for bringing it out again.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Re: [VOTE] Request a "JAMES" Confluence Space to INFRA

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> Sam proposed an alternative where Roller, on his side until we have it
> running in the ASF, would pick up the information, merge it into our
> template, and then we would merge that into the site.
>
> I am very much not in favor of your proposal, especially with your exposed
> agenda to migrate the entire JAMES site to Confluence.
>
> 	--- Noel

I've not proposed anything, yet. I'm just putting my hands there to
decide with my head what I think I should propose.

At the moment (but again, I'm currently studying) I don't think that
using Roller+Sam stuff is better than using ASF resources we can
administrate directly. I admit we don't have too much informations on
Sam's stuff, also (e.g: who does the merge, where, how).

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> Why are we still looking at this when we have an alternative from Sam?
>
> 	--- Noel

An alternative to what? The vote is to request a confluence space,
nothing else.

I don't see how Sam proposed alternatives to this.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Stefano Bagnara ha scritto:
> I propose to ask a space for JAMES. The vote is limited to the request
> of the space as I think that if we never ask we'll never know if INFRA
> is able or not to provide us such a tool.

As I didn't declare the vote duration, I'll do it right now.

A big thread has been written since I started the vote, so I think that
adding 3 more days will help. This vote will be closed on Thursday
23/08/2007 at 12:00 GMT+2.

Currently we have
+1 Stefano, Danny, Bernd, Norman
+0 <none>
-1 <none>

Thank you,

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE RESULT] Request a "JAMES" Confluence Space to INFRA

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> I'll post an update when the space will be ready so that we'll do some
> tests and start collecting proposals on how to use it.

Great. I think I've worked-out how to do the news thing.

d.

Re: [VOTE RESULT] Request a "JAMES" Confluence Space to INFRA

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> -1
>
> Me.
>
> 	--- Noel

Too late man. The six days vote expired 6 hours ago and the space is
already there (here we call this "damn efficient infrastructure" ;-) )

Btw the vote for the space request, not for using it. So this should not
harm anyone.

Hope we can find a better consensus about what to do with the resources
we are collecting.

Stefano

RE: [VOTE RESULT] Request a "JAMES" Confluence Space to INFRA

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
-1

Me.

	--- Noel

[VOTE RESULT] Request a "JAMES" Confluence Space to INFRA

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Stefano Bagnara ha scritto:
> I propose to ask a space for JAMES. The vote is limited to the request
> of the space as I think that if we never ask we'll never know if INFRA
> is able or not to provide us such a tool.

This vote passed with the following votes (all binding)

+1 votes

Stefano Bagnara
Danny Angus
Bernd Fondermann
Norman Maurer
Serge Knystautas

+0 <none>
-1 <none>

I just submitted the JIRA request to the Infra team:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1332

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> Confluence is not backuped and properly QOS'ed.
>>
>> There are issues, but the pages have to be statically exported and
>> served up
>> by httpd, which helps with QoS.  If Confluence self-immolates, at least
>> we'll have what it generated.
>
> Interesting. Doesn't sound like C. was a better solution for the
> intended purpose compared to what we have now.
>
>   Bernd

Why? You just login to confluence, apply your changes using a web based
visual editor, submit and wait. Confluence does everything else.

The export to static html is automatic. The copy from the static export
to the minotaur folder can be done via cron as explained here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/#Index-Canweusetheautoexportsiteaspartofourmainwebsite%3F

And according to cwiki it is also being backed up:
http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/#Index-Isthissitebackedup%3F

Furthermore we can keep committing the generated (or even the xml, as
confluence can export also xml files) to our svn from time to time
(maybe only when we do release, skipping the full workflow for minor
changes/news and other edits)

If you want more details on how Confluence would work I can try
explaining it better.

You can see a live example of home (including news) managed by mina
using Confluence:
http://mina.apache.org/

News are simple wiki pages editable via Confluence in this pages:
http://cwiki.apache.org.dontlink.cwiki.pages/confluence/display/MINA/2007/08/12/Apache+MINA+1.0.5+and+1.1.2+Released
(of course you have to remove the dontlink.cwiki.pages host part)

Confluence also provides an RSS feed that could be made static using the
technique described by Noel and Sam Ruby (until the Confluence's auto
export plugin won't support this: export of css+rss to static resources
is already in their todo: http://could.it/bugs/browse/EXP-6 ).

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
>>> Interesting. Doesn't sound like C. was a better solution for the
>>> intended purpose compared to what we have now.
>>>
>>>   Bernd
>>
>> Why? You just login to confluence, apply your changes using a web based
>> visual editor, submit and wait. Confluence does everything else.
>
> ok, then. I was under the impression that there would be a release
> process like we have now.

Noel is almost good as me at illustrating things using his own light ;-)

> So, we would just use Confluence for News, or would we migrate the whole
> website? I would prefer the latter, but this requires some major work.
>
>   Bernd

I also prefer to use it for most of our website and also to replace our
moinmoin pages, but maybe we can do this step-by-step.

Currently I'm trying to narrow the comparison between Confluence and
other proposed solutions to the "news publishing" scope.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Bernd Fondermann wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> Confluence is not backuped and properly QOS'ed.
>> There are issues, but the pages have to be statically exported and served
up
>> by httpd, which helps with QoS.  If Confluence self-immolates, at least
>> we'll have what it generated.
> Interesting. Doesn't sound like C. was a better solution for the
> intended purpose compared to what we have now.

Confluence has a prettier editor than MoinMoin.  Integrates with JIRA.
<<shrug>>

Critical content needs to be maintained in such manner that it is under
revision control, able to be restored in the event of a catastrophic
failure, etc.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Request a "JAMES" Confluence Space to INFRA

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is a followup to the "Use a Blog for news" vote started by Danny.
> That vote is anyway going to be succesfull as it collected only +1 and
> +0, no -1.

[X] +1 Let's request a CWIKI Space

I think I remember discussions on infra that Confluence is not backuped
and properly QOS'ed. Maybe this is no longer true. We should assure,
that this is the case for using it as a primary tool.

   Bernd