Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2004/07/09 20:37:57 UTC

Re: ob.surbl.org FP

Chris Santerre writes:
> [...]

Not again! :(   As http://www.spamvertized.org points out, this is a
recurrent problem.

BTW it doesn't matter what CAN-SPAM says, if recipients elsewhere in the
world are getting it.   Sending spam to countries where such mail is
illegal, is obviously something a presidential campaign should be ashamed
of.

Also, the CAN-SPAM prohibition against blocking political messages is
absurd when you consider the Sober.H worm traffic!

> IMHO I think all political unsolicited bulk email should be blocked. But I
> have a larger responsibility to more users of SURBL. So I didn't add it to
> [WS].

true.  SURBL's a case where blocking the URL itself will have FPs,
since that's something that people will be sending around in nonspam
mail.

- --j.

Re: ob.surbl.org FP

Posted by Kelson Vibber <ke...@speed.net>.
At 11:37 AM 7/9/2004, Justin Mason wrote:
>Also, the CAN-SPAM prohibition against blocking political messages is
>absurd when you consider the Sober.H worm traffic!

There is no prohibition in CAN-SPAM against blocking political
messages.  What it has is an exception stating that political messages do
not violate it - i.e. you cannot *prosecute* political spammers (at least
not for simply sending the mail) under CAN-SPAM.  But it does not require
you to accept that spam.  IIRC, it explicitly allows recipients to define
their own policy.

Kind of like it's legal to walk around town barefoot, but it's also legal
for a store to enforce a "No shirt, no shoes, no service" policy.

(20 minutes later...)

OK, after reading/searching/skimming the text of CAN-SPAM at
http://www.spamlaws.com/federal/108s877.html I cannot find an actual
*exception* for political messages.  What it does have is a
*loophole*.  Throughout the text, it refers specifically to "unsolicited
commercial electronic mail."

Still, it doesn't prevent recipients or ISPs from blocking whatever they
want, it just limits what can be prosecuted under those terms.

Kelson Vibber